As a constituent institution of The University of North Carolina System, Elizabeth City State University offers baccalaureate, professional, and master's
degrees for a diverse student body. Our mission is to promote economic, social, and
environmental progress for the people of northeastern North Carolina, the state, and
We achieve our commitment to the highest quality education by maintaining a rigorous focus on academic excellence through liberal arts programs and using innovative and flexible technology-based instruction models to enhance our signature areas: integrating technology with education, improving human health and wellness, and advancing the natural and aviation sciences.
Through teaching, research, and community engagement, the institution's rich heritage and its current multicultural student-centered focus provide a firm foundation for its endeavors. It serves the needs and aspirations of individuals and society; producing graduates for leadership roles and life-long learning.
Elizabeth City State University will be a premier public institution and a leading partner for economic, social, and environmental progress. We will be a destination institution that develops leaders who will make a positive difference now and in the future.
Our Core Values
ECSU is guided by a commitment to excellence, which is personified in the subsequent group of core values the university strives to demonstrate and maintain.
- Accountability – Administration, faculty, staff, and students will be responsible and transparent in their actions
- Commitment – Dedication to our students, community, and advancing the university will be our priority
- Excellence – Unparalleled teaching, learning, and service to the university and community will be our measure for success
- Collaboration – Teamwork and partnerships with our stakeholders will be utilized to achieve common goals
- Inclusion – Diverse viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds will be respected and welcomed
Elizabeth City State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award degrees at the baccalaureate and master’s level. Questions about the accreditation of Elizabeth City State University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).