Program Goals and Objective
The Department of Language, Literature and Communication supports the University's mission to prepare its students for responsible and creative participation in society by giving them a strong foundation in reading comprehension, a proficiency with language, and the ability to reason critically. The Department also seeks to develop students' appreciation and awareness of their own rich literary heritage and those of other peoples.
Program: BA in English
- Students will be able to analyze works of literature with an emphasis on British and American literature and culture.
- Students will be able to define and use theoretical terms and perspectives important in English Studies.
- Students will be able to incorporate research in well-organized argumentative reports that competently develop a research question and use relevant source material.
Program: BA in Communication Studies
The purpose of the BA in Communication Studies program is to prepare students for graduate studies in the field of Communication and related areas. The program also exists to prepare students for careers in mass communications, public relations, government services, and other areas that require advanced communication skills and the use of specialized communication technology to reach mass audiences.
- Students will be able to discuss the history of the mass media professions and describe the roles of institutions in shaping written, oral and visual communication.
- Students will be able to demonstrate oral and written communication skills that are appropriate for the communications professions, audiences and purposes they serve.
- Students will be able to use a variety of techniques to analyze and identify the diversity of people and cultures.
- Students will be able to discuss the significance and impact of mass communications in a global society.
- Students will be able to apply tools and technologies appropriate for the communications professions in which they work.
- Students will be able to evaluate their own work and that of others for accuracy and fairness, clarity, appropriate style and grammatical correctness.
- Students will be able to demonstrate their understanding of professional and ethical principles and work ethically in pursuit of truth, accuracy, fairness and diversity.