Summer Transportation Institute
In order to recruit and select quality students for this project, a letter will be sent out to School Guidance Counselors in the area sometime in the last week of March. The letter will clearly state the purpose of the program, a brief summary of curriculum, information on incentives/scholarships, selection criteria, and the resources that will be made available to students during the 4-week program. In addition, the STI team at ECSU will visit area high schools to identify prospective students.
Students will be asked to complete the registration form made available on the STI website. Students could also download the registration form and mail it to the STI staff at ECSU.
Notification of selection/scholarship will be made by the Summer Transportation Institute for each of the selected students no later than May 4. The following criteria will be used in the selection of scholarship recipients:
- Students must be in the 11th or 12th grade for the current school year.
- Students must have completed Algebra I for the previous school year.
- Cumulative grade point average must be at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- The student should have an interest in transportation, science, engineering and especially computer networking.
- One letter of recommendation.
- Essay. (Why the student wants to participate in the program and how the Summer Transportation Institute can assist in meeting their individual career goals).
- Completed application packet with current transcript.
The STI scholarship package for the selected students in the four-week summer program will consist of the following:
Note: Refer to Related Documents section for program application and other information.