Academic Support Reading Lab
The Academic Support Reading Lab offers free help with any reading weaknesses that you know you have, or free testing and consults for any reading problem that you think may be holding you back from performing well at the college level.
Walk-ins welcome, but calling ahead of time or stopping by and setting up an appointment is highly encouraged.
Call Hope Hohenstein, Reading Specialist to make your appointment today at (252)
*Note: The reading lab is closed during the first week of the fall and spring semesters and during finals week.
Instruction and help is offered in the following areas:
- Word parts
- Comprehension of textbooks
- Context clues
- How to become a faster reader
- Main idea/major and minor details
- Staying focused when reading
- Pronunciation and spelling
- Drawing conclusions and making inferences
How to Get the Most from a Reading Lab Visit:
- Be on time and ready to work
- Make all phone calls etc BEFORE your scheduled reading lab time
- Ask Questions
- Be willing to spend some of your own time practicing what you have learned in lab