General Admission Procedures
Qualified graduates of accredited colleges and universities are eligible to seek admission to graduate level degree programs at Elizabeth City State University. Applications are received on the basis of qualifications, without regard to sex, age, race, or religion. The completed application packet must be received by the Office of Graduate Education by the dates below to ensure that an admission decision is made prior to the start of classes for the following semesters:
- Admission for Spring: November 15
- Admission for Summer : March 15
- Admission for Fall: July 15
All graduate application fees are a minimum of thirty (30) dollars, in U.S. currency. This fee is nonrefundable. Transcripts and other credentials become the property of the university and must remain on file in the appropriate offices. It is the policy of the Office of Graduate Education to respond only to written inquiries from applicants regarding the status of the application.
Admission to pursue graduate study at Elizabeth City State University is accomplished in two steps: one, by admission to the university and two, by admission to a selected program.
Applicants from non-English-speaking nations must provide evidence of proficiency in the English language with their application for admission to Elizabeth City State University. An acceptable score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required. Some degree programs may have additional requirements. Each student must submit an official English translation of all transcripts. All documents must be sent to the Office of Graduate Education six months prior to the date of the first day of classes of the intended semester of enrollment. Applicants must meet current U.S. Immigration standards, which may include completing the Financial Guarantee Form.
Admission to Elizabeth City State University
Admissions regulations governing graduate level studies at Elizabeth City State University
are classified as Unconditional General Admission, Conditional General Admission,
and Special Student Admission. General regulations apply to all students regardless
of degree program and admission status.
The application may be completed online at https://gradapply.ecsu.edu
Graduate Admission to Elizabeth City State University means only that the student will be permitted to enroll in courses at the graduate level. It does not necessarily imply that he/she will be admitted to a selected program leading to an advanced degree.
Unconditional General Admission*
A student must satisfy the following criteria for unconditional admission:
- An earned Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university**
- Minimum, overall undergraduate GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 Scale) or a 3.0 average for the last four semesters (60 credit hours) of study for the bachelor’s degree **
- A completed and signed application**
- A $30.00 application fee must accompany the application for admission and is not refundable. Certified checks or money orders should be made payable to Elizabeth City State University**
- Two official transcripts, in sealed envelopes sent directly from each college and university previously (and official transcripts from all other graduate study)**
- Three Graduate Recommendation Forms from persons qualified to evaluate the applicant’s abilities to pursue graduate study in the proposed academic discipline**
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) recommended but not required
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS), if applicable
- Completed Financial Guarantee Form, if applicable
- Completed NC Residency Form, if applicable
- Completed Health Form**
Graduate Special Student Admission is a temporary designation for persons who wish to take licensure renewal, transfer credits to another institution, take courses for personal satisfaction, or for those with incomplete Graduate Application Packets.
For those students with incomplete Graduate Application Packets, this classification terminates on the date the student completes their application file and is admitted to a specific graduate program.
For Special Student Admission, apply online at https://gradapply.ecsu.edu