Click on the links below to find answers to the most commonly asked questions about Distance Education.
- What is Blackboard?
- How do I receive a Blackboard account?
- What is my user name and password for Blackboard?
- How do I access my course(s) in Blackboard?
- I have registered for face-to-face course(s), however I don't see it listed in Blackboard under My Courses?
- What is the difference between a web-enhanced course and an online course?
- Who is responsible for initial contact in an online class, the student or the instructor?
- Do I have to be online at a certain time?
- How many hours per week should I devote to an online course?
- Which browsers does Blackboard support?
- What is the procedure for students to use a test proctor?
- How can students request an Office 365 account?
Blackboard is Elizabeth City State University's learning management system that allows students and faculty members to access course materials, conduct course activities, communicate, and collaborate online. Students in courses that use Blackboard can access those courses anywhere and anytime they can access the World-Wide Web. Faculty can use Blackboard to supplement regular classroom instruction or teach online courses. It offers a user-friendly environment where students can:
- Read announcements from the instructor
- View course syllabus
- Email the instructor
- Submit assignments online
- Participate in online discussions, wikis, journals, and blogs
- Work on group projects without meeting in person
- Take quizzes online and more
All students receive a Blackboard account once they are admitted to the university and have registered for classes.
Username: Your 9 digit Banner ID number
Password: Your birthdate: mmddyy
Log into your Blackboard account at ecsu.blackboard.com. All courses that are utilizing Blackboard will be listed under the heading Courses in which you are enrolled. Courses should be available on the first day of the semester. If you see "No Courses Found," follow the steps below.
- Log into Banner (SSB) to verify you are still registered for the course(s). (Banner and Blackboard are integrated; therefore the course(s) you are registered for in Banner should be available to you in Blackboard.
- Contact Registrar's office to verify course registration. (Students may be dropped by the Registrar's Office if you do not attend and participate in your course during the first 2 weeks of the semester).
- Contact Student Accounts to verify your account has been cleared. (Students may be dropped by the Registrar's Office if tuition and fees have not been paid).
- Contact instructor to verify the course has been made available.
I have registered for face-to-face course(s), however I do not see the course listed in Blackboard under My Courses?
If you are enrolled in a face-to-face course and do not see the course listed in Blackboard it is possible that the instructor is not using Blackboard to web-enhance their course.
Online courses are completed totally online with course instructions and communication resources provided by your instructor through Blackboard. Students can study the course materials and conduct learning activities anytime, anywhere as long as they have Internet access and a Blackboard account.
A web-enhanced course requires the student to attend on campus class sessions and use Blackboard to retrieve information, communicate in groups, send emails to classmates and instructors, and check your grades. Your instructor will advise you at the beginning of the semester if they will be using Blackboard to web-enhance their course.
The student is responsible for logging into Blackboard and accessing the course on the first scheduled day of class. The instructor is responsible for making the class available on the first scheduled day of class.
Online courses allow you the flexibility to be online anytime, anywhere. Please note there may be courses that have scheduled online activities.
We recommend you devote 5-10 hours/week per course.
Blackboard supported browsers and operating systems are provided here.
Instructions to request a test proctor are located at here.
Students can request an Office 365 account here.