III. Mission, Governance, and Institutional Effectiveness
1. The institution has a clear and comprehensive mission statement
that describes the institution and its characteristics; is approved
by the governing board; is periodically reviewed by the board; and
is communicated to the institution's constituencies.
Governance and Administration
2. The governing board of the institution is responsible for the
selection and the evaluation of the chief executive officer.
3. The legal authority, governance structure, and operating control
of the institution are clearly defined for the following areas:
a. the institution's mission
b. the fiscal stability of the institution
c. institutional policy, including policies concerning related
and affiliated corporate entities and all auxiliary services
d. related foundations (athletic, research, etc.) and other corporate
entities whose primary purpose is to support the institution and/or
4. The board has a policy addressing conflict of interest.
5. The governing board is free from undue influence from political,
religious, or other external bodies and protects the institution
from such influence.
6. Members of the governing board can be dismissed only for
cause and by due process.
7. There is a clear and appropriate distinction, in writing
and practice, between the policy-making functions of the governing
board and the responsibility of the administration and faculty to
administer and implement policy.
8. The institution has a clearly defined and published organizational
structure that delineates responsibility for the administration of
9. The institution has qualified administrative officers and
staff with the experience, competence, and capacity to lead the institution.
10. The effectiveness of the institution's administrators, including
the chief executive officer, is evaluated on a periodic basis.
11. The institution's chief executive officer has ultimate responsibility
for and exercises appropriate administrative and fiscal control
over the institution's intercollegiate athletics program.
12. The ultimate control of the institution's fund-raising activities
rests with the institution's chief executive officer.
Elizabeth City State University, 1704 Weeksville Road, Elizabeth City, NC 27909 P: 252.335.3400