Apply to the Program
Prospective participants must be:
- Rising 9th, 10th or 11th grader in good academic standing;
- A U. S. citizen or legal resident;
- Potential first-generation college student;
- Have potential to succeed in high school and in college;
- Have a need for academic support and guidance in order to successfully pursue a post-secondary educational program;
- Income eligible, according to the guidelines established by the U. S. Dept. of Ed.
Federal TRIO Programs Current-Year Low-Income Levels
(Effective January 31, 2017 until further notice)
|Size of Family Unit||48 Contiguous States, D.C., and Outlying Jurisdictions|
For family units with more than eight members, add the following amount for each additional family member:
- $6,270 for the 48 contiguous states, the District of Columbia, and outlying jurisdictions;
- $7,845 for Alaska; and
- $7,215 for Hawaii.
The term "low-income individual" means an individual whose family's taxable income for the preceding year did not exceed 150 percent of the poverty level amount.
The figures shown under family income represent amounts equal to 150 percent of the family income levels established by the Census Bureau for determining poverty status. The poverty guidelines were published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in the Federal Register on January 31, 2017.
United States Department of Education. (2017). Federal TRiO Program: Current-Year-Low-Income Levels. Retrieved from https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/incomelevels.html
- Have potential to succeed in high school and in college.
- Have a need for academic support and guidance in order to successfully pursue a post-secondary
In addition to completing the application, you must submit the following:
- Report Card with current grades.
- Transcript that includes your current cumulative grade point average.
- Copy of your parent/guardians' 1040/1040EZ for the previous or current tax year completed/filed tax form (must match income written on the application--needed to verify income listed on the application).
- Completed teacher or counselor recommendation form and answer all questions on the questionnaire.
Once the application is completed, please mail to:
Upward Bound Program
Elizabeth City State University
1704 Weeksville Road
Campus Box 785
Elizabeth City, North Carolina 27909
*Please note that applications are accepted throughout the year. If you have questions, please contact the Program Coordinator at 252-335-3370.