Each year, the Counseling and Testing Center selects a group of dedicated students to become V.A.N.S. As V.A.N.S., students serve as a resource to new and transfer students who are making the transition into college. VANS serve as orientation leaders during the New Student Orientation programs held in the months of June, July, August, and January. The application period for new and returning VANS begins in September and ends in early November. Interviews are held in November and December and an Induction Ceremony is held for all VANS in January. VANS participate in the Southern Regional Orientation (SROW) Conference held each year at various colleges and universities in Region IV. Region IV includes Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Visit our photo album to view our attendance at past SROW conferences.
- A minimum of a 2.5. GPA
- 2nd semester freshman, sophomores, and junior years students are eligible. Seniors graduating in December of the following year are also eligible
- Excellent leadership skills
- Good disciplinary standings
- Must be committed to the mission of the New Student Orientation Program
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of team members, prospective students and parents
- Have a strong desire and willingness to learn about the University’s history, programs, services, policies, and procedures
- Must be flexible, responsible, and have a willingness to assist others
- During the spring semester, applicants must submit an official V.A.N.S. Application and a letter of reference.