About the ECSU Upward Bound Program
The purpose of the Upward Bound Program is to generate in its participants the skills and motivation necessary to persist in completing a program of post-secondary education.
Elizabeth City State University's Upward Bound is specifically for students residing in Northeastern North Carolina; the target areas consist of six counties, Chowan, Gates, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Tyrrell, and Washington.
Elizabeth City State University Upward Bound goals and objectives are achieved through the implementation of the core curriculum, counseling, academic advisement, tutoring, and mentoring program. This multi-purpose program provides outreach and supportive services to 73 participants.
List of Services:
- Academic Advising/Counseling
- College and Career Counseling
- Academic Component (20 Saturday Sessions during the Academic Component)
- Tutoring and Instruction offered in the following content areas:
- Reading, Composition and Literature
- Science/ Science Lab
- Foreign Language
*Upward Bound Participants receive a stipend for full participation in the Academic Component.
- Summer Residential Component
- Six-week program, participants reside on the campus of ECSU
- Receive tutoring and instruction in the content areas listed above and
- Participate in social and cultural experiences
- Work Study Jobs for Juniors and Seniors with the appropriate grade point average
*Upward Bound Participants receive a stipend for full participation in the Summer Residential Component; juniors and seniors participating in Work Study will receive an additional stipend.
- Summer Bridge Program (Graduating High School Seniors)
- Participants that have graduated from high school will be allowed to enroll in six credit hours (paid for by the program)
- Receive room, board and books (paid for by the program)
*Prospective Bridge students must apply and be accepted at ECSU in order to participate in this component Click Admissions for additional information
- Educational and Cultural Enrichment Tours (during the Academic and Summer Components)
- Pre-College Seminars and Workshops (Academic and Summer Components)
- SAT and ACT Fee Waivers