How to Apply
A Step By Step Guide to Financial Aid
Elizabeth City State University encourages you to apply for financial aid assistance today! Application to our institution does not obligate you to accept our financial aid offer. It does, however, give the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (OSFAS) staff the information we need to assist you in making your college choice. Let us help you discover how Elizabeth City State University could fit into your future. Please click on the hyperlink below to see the 7 easy steps to apply for financial aid!
Here is important information on the steps to applying for financial aid assistance at Elizabeth City State University
All students must meet the initial student eligibility requirements and complete a Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list our School Code 002926, on FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Submit your FASFA by the priority deadlines. Applications are only considered once a student has been accepted to ECSU and admitted to a degree program. At ECSU, FAFSA applications are reviewed on a first come, first serve basis.
For an overview of the financial aid process, check out this Youtube video:
3. Provide Additional Information if Requested
View the "After the FAFSA: What Happens Next?" youtube video
Once ECSU has received a copy of your FAFSA, an award offer will be electronically sent to the student. Some students will be required to complete the process of Verification. Verification is the process in which The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships verifies that the information on the FAFSA is accurate. If you are selected for verification, you must complete the verification process before any awards will be finalized. The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships contact the student via email and through the Self Service Banner (SSB) portal if any additional documents are needed to complete your file . The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships will submit all changes required as a result of Verification. When you submit any documents to the office, please make sure that your name and student ID number is included on all documents.
4. Review your Award Offer
5. Accept Terms & ConditionsStudents must accept the following Terms & Conditions on Self-Service Banner.
While at ECSU:
- I must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), which is complete 66% of the classes attempted for each semester, have the required semester GPA & complete my program of study within 150% of the hours needed to graduate (Please review the SAP policy).
- I may be awarded only up to my cost of attendance (COA). I am required to report any outside scholarships & loans that I receive & that they may reduce the amount of financial aid that I receive in order that my total award does not excess my COA. I will use all awarded funds only for expenses related to my study. I must return any funds received that I am not eligible for.
- If I decide to withdraw from ECSU before the 60% mark of the semester I will not be eligible to receive my full disbursement of federal aid that I was awarded.
- I cannot be enrolled in two or more post secondary schools at the same time. Funds are awarded based on financial need & credit hours. I am obligated to report any change in my circumstances.
- I do not owe a refund on any grant or loan, am not in default on any loan or have made satisfactory arrangements to repay any defaulted loan, & have not borrowed in excess of the loan limits under Title IV programs at any institution.
- I authorize ECSU to defer my tuition, fees, books, room & board charges to my federal, state & institutional aid. I understand that I may rescind this authorization at any time.
I authorize release & exchange of information between ECSU, educational institutions, & educational state agencies, & agree that such information exchanged may include financial, enrollment, academic status, identification, legal residency, & location information necessary to assure proper administration of federal, state & institutional financial aid programs. If I purposely give false or misleading information, I may be fined $20,000, sent to prison, or both.