Professional Development and Employee Relations
The Elizabeth City State University Professional Development Program includes internal and external training announcements for all employees and information concerning tuition and academic assistance.
As a member of the ECSU faculty or staff, employees have access to many free and fee-based professional development, personal wellness, and informational training resources. Workshops and other developmental initiatives are designed to help sharpen job skills and promote effective and progressive management practices that encourage both personal and professional excellence.
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Waiver of Tuition for Faculty and Staff (ECSU Policy 200.1.5)
- Tuition Waiver Application for Faculty and Staff All ECSU permanent, full-time employees are eligible for tuition waivers for not more than two courses during the academic year at all constituent institutions of the UNC System.
- Academic Assistance Program (ECSU Policy 200.1.2) All ECSU permanent full-time or part-time employees, employees in time-limited permanent positions, and eligible employees with probationary and trainee status may attend courses totaling up to 20 credit hours per fiscal year from any accredited community college, college or university if funds are available.
For more information on the Waiver of Tuition and Academic Assistance Programs, please refer to the corresponding policy in the ECSU Policy Manual.
ECSU provides employee relations services that are designed to promote and facilitate equal employment opportunities, fairness and consistency in the treatment of employees, effective communications between management and employees, documentation of employment actions, record keeping as required by law and practice, complaint resolution processes, managerial and employee training, and "best employment practices." Employee Relations also encompasses ECSU's overall approach to maintaining a positive, productive and cohesive work environment within the university's business model and academic culture.
Employee Relations services include, but are not limited to:
- Providing counseling to employees and/or supervisors to resolve work-related problems that may relate to performance and/or disciplinary actions,
- Mediating disputes and advising all parties involved in matters relating to employee relations and human resources policies,
- Coordinating Employee Assistance Program (EAP) services,
- Administering grievance processes,
- Monitoring employee performance and competency assessments.
- Workplace Violence Policy (ECSU Policy 200.1.7)
- Career Banding Salary Administration Plan (ECSU Policy 200.1.8)
- Career Banding Dispute Resolution Form (ECSU Policy 200.1.8 [F])
- Employee Assistance Program Policy (ECSU Policy 200.1.18)
- Mediation and Grievance Policy for SPA Employees (ECSU Policy 200.2.1)
- Grievance Procedures for Employees Exempt From the State Personnel Act (EPA) (ECSU Policy 200.3.5)
- Faculty Grievance Procedure (ECSU Policy 300.2.7)
- Disciplinary Action Procedures for SPA Employees (ECSU Policy 200.2.3)
For a complete listing of policies, please refer to the ECSU Policy Manual.
Change in Submission of Time Sheets - It has become necessary to change the due dates of time sheets in order to continue our work in HR Banner Payroll; therefore, effective immediately, all time sheets and leave request forms are due in Human Resources by the end of the second business day beginning May 4. Other critical due dates are June 2, July 2, August 4, September 2, etc.
The Performance Cycle or evaluation period for EPA Non-Teaching and Career Banded employees is as follows:
Human Resources Specialist/ Banner Operations / Interim Title IX Coordinator / Professional Development
Human Resources Consultant / Employee Relations