An ECSU Web page should be an information resource and an interactive, evolving communications medium for prospective and current students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, parents and families, friends of ECSU, and the surrounding community. The standards offered here are established by ECSU Information Technology Client Services and are reviewed regularly.
The ECSU World Wide Web server is www.ecsu.edu. Content areas are available to official ECSU departments, academic offices, and organizations. Official Web pages must be accurate and current. Out of date information must be removed and new information added on a regular basis. This is the responsibility of the faculty or staff person who submitted the information.
The following is not permissible on any Web page:
- Copyrightable or licensed materials for which the necessary permissions for use have not been obtained or an exception permitting use applies
- Material for commercial gain unrelated to the university
- Material contributing to illegal activities (unless used in an appropriate academic context)
- Material or speech that is unlawful (unless used in an appropriate academic context)
- Material that is intended to damage, to interfere with, or place an excessive load on a computer system or network
- Material that is personal in nature to any individual
Placement of advertising or links to commercial Web sites is generally prohibited. However, ECSU has the authority to approve advertising or links to commercial Web sites if:
- general interest sites are available free of charge;
- subscription services paid by the university;
- information that relates to or supports teaching, research, or service mission of ECSU;
- or, listings of sponsors and logos for a performance or special event. Links to non-university sites should open in a new browser window, whenever possible.
All website pages that reside on the www.ecsu.edu server will have the same standard design that has been approved by Information Technology Client Services and University Relations & Marketing. Any sites designed by outside persons/vendors will be incorporated into the approved design before being uploaded to the www.ecsu.edu website. Exceptions to this case must be approved by the Director of Information Technology Client Services, the Director of University Relations & Marketing, and the supervisor of the person making the request.
Content is the heart and soul of every Web site. Without it, most sites wouldn't exist. Create content that is engaging, interesting, up-to-date, accurate, on-brand and most importantly, relevant and valuable to your audiences. It is the responsibility of the Dean or Unit Head to submit approved content for the website. It is understood that in most cases a Dean or Unit Head appoints a designee to create and maintain pages. The dean/unit head/designee is responsible for ensuring that the individual developing the content maintains it and keeps the information timely and accurate. They are responsible for the content on their page(s). The Office of the Webmaster does not read, proof, or approve content. That is solely the responsibility of the person who submits the information, and the dean/unit head/designee who approved it. Persons who note errors in the content on campus web pages should contact the dean/unit head/designee for that area. If they fail to take appropriate action, submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The process for submitting a website request is to send an email to email@example.com. Be sure to include the URL for the page that needs to be updated. Include the FULL TEXT for the page as it should be read in its entirety from the page. Web updates will be completed within one to two weeks of receipt, depending on the complexity of the project and on the volume of work in front of your project. Please keep in mind that if your content does not follow the standards listed above, it will be returned to you.
Requests should only be submitted by ECSU faculty or staff. Requests from students and vendors must be approved by ECSU faculty or staff before they are submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.