Despite having a trained professional Department of University Police at Elizabeth City State University, or even local and state law enforcement agencies, the person who can do the most to keep you safe is you. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind as you navigate the campus and local community.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Report suspicious people or activity to the Department of University Police.
- Never allow anyone you don't know into your residence hall.
- Never prop open exterior doors on residence hall buildings.
- Make sure your residence hall room door is locked at all times - even if you're just running down the hall to hop in the shower.
- Keep your car locked and window up.
- Keep an eye on your property while in the library, dining hall or wherever.
- Put emergency numbers in your cell phone, including DUP(252) 335-3266.
- Travel with a friend at night - male or female.
- Always tell someone where you're going.