Common Questions and Answers


Your college experience at Elizabeth City State University begins with New Student Orientation (NSO).  All new students are required to attend NSO or Transfer Student Orientation..  The one day orientation will prepare you for the transition to collegiate life and will enhance your success during your first year of college.  During orientation you will plan your academic schedule, register for classes, attend meetings, and become acquainted with ECSU students, staff, and faculty.

Parents/Guardians are invited to participate in special sessions designed to help you become familiar with the university and to aid in your son’s and/or daughter’s transition to college life.


NSO Dates

January 2017: January 6, 2017

May 2017: TBA

June 2017: TBA

July 2017: TBA

August 2017: TBA


Will I Need to take the Placement Test?

Students are required to take a writing assessment during orientation for placement into appropriate English courses.  SAT/ACT scores will be used to determine your placement into appropriate math courses.


When Should I Arrive?
Can I Stay on Campus?

All students and parents/guardians should report to the Walter N. & Henrietta B. Ridley Student Center for January Orientation registration between 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.  During orientation check-in, you will receive a detailed schedule of your day.


Whom Do I Contact Regarding Disability Services?

Students requiring assistance or Disability Services during New & Transfer Student Orientation, and the academic year, due to physical, psychological, and/or learning disabilities should register with Mrs. Felecia Brown, Counseling & Testing Center, 500 Griffin Hall, (252) 335-3642 or (252) 335-3273.

To receive appropriate accommodations during Orientation, please contact us at least ten business days prior to your scheduled orientation session. We are open Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to assist you.


When Will the Program End?

Your New Student Orientation program will end at 5:00 p.m.


Is There a Fee for Orientation?

Yes, there is a $110 fee for New & Transfer Student Orientation for students. The Parent Orientation program is free for interested parents and guardians.

Your orientation fee must be paid prior to attending the New Student Orientation program.

Dinner will be provided to only students the evening of Orientation. You will need to pay cash for additional family members and for additional meals.

Continental Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will be provided for students registered for NTSO.
Continental Breakfast and Lunch will be provided for up to two guests.

Note: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner will be provided for new students on that Friday and Saturday.
The campus cafeteria opens on that Sunday; students will be able to use their meal plans starting that Sunday


Pay by Check

Make your check/money order payable to Elizabeth City State University and reference New & Transfer Student Orientation in memo line.
Mail your orientation fee to: New & Transfer Student Orientation, Elizabeth City State University, 1704 Weeksville Road, Campus Box 773, Elizabeth City, N.C. 27909.


Pay by Credit Card

Payment can be made via submitting a credit card authorization form.


Additional Fees

The following fees and charges are also due before the student can be officially enrolled:



Housing Application Charge: $125

Intent to Enroll Fee: $50



Intent to Enroll Fee: $50

All fees are due prior to your Orientation session. Please send check or money order, payable to ECSU for the Orientation Fee and the boarding/non-boarding fees. The New & Transfer Student Orientation program is mandatory and the fee cannot be waived, prorated, or refunded.


What Lodging Is Available in the Area?

Campus housing is not available during New Student Orientation; however, there are several hotels in or near Elizabeth City.

Accommodations most convenient to the University are:

    Best Western Plus (252) 331-7751  
    Days Inn    (252) 335-4316     800-329-7466
    Fairfield Inn & Suites (252) 333-1003  
    Holiday Inn Express (252) 338-8900
    Hampton Inn (252) 333-1800 800-426-7866
    Quality Inn (252) 338-3951  


Music Majors

If you are planning to major in music, auditions are required and will be held on Friday, January 6, 2016 of your scheduled NSO session. Please contact the music department (252) 335-3359, Fine Arts Center 226.


 When Can I Move in to my Residence Hall?

On-Campus: Students living on campus are able to check into their Residence Hall on Sunday, January 8, 2017 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


When Should I Return to Campus to Begin the Spring Semester?

Students participating in the January NTSO may move into their Residence Hall Friday, January 6, 2017 after the orientation program has concluded.






How Do I Get to Elizabeth City?

By Car: US Highway 17 and 158 come to Elizabeth City. For driving directions, call 1-800-347-3278 or log into our web site at

By Bus, Trailways Bus Line serves the city.

By Plane: Norfolk International (ORF) is approximately 50 miles from Elizabeth City – ORF is the nearest airport to ECSU.


Telephone Numbers You May Need

University staff members are available and anxious to help and to answer your questions.  Please contact the appropriate office if you need assistance.


Admissions                                                  (252) 335-3305 / 1-800-347-3278

Business & Finance                                 (252) 335-3220

Commuter Student Service               (252) 335-3587

Counseling & Testing                              (252) 335-3273

Financial Aid                                               (252) 335-3283 / 1-800-529-8146

Health Services                                          (252) 335-3267

Housing & Residence Life                    (252) 335-3761

New Student Orientation                     (252) 335-3276

Registrar’s Office                                       (252) 335-3300

Special Needs/Disability Services   (252) 335-3642

Student Accounts                                      (252) 335-3566

Student Affairs                                            (252) 335-3276

Transfer Student Advisor                      (252) 335-3474

University Police (Parking)                    (252) 335-3265


For other campus phone numbers call (252) 335-3400 and press 9 for the operator.