Campus Lockdown Procedures
Goal/Purpose of Lockdown
The purpose of a lockdown is to minimize accessibility to rooms/buildings on campus to reduce the risk of injury or danger to faculty, staff, students or visitors.
Decision to Lockdown
A lockdown would be implemented when requested by the Chief of Police, the Chancellor or the Executive Group. Under circumstances where a delay in seeking direction from the Chancellor or the Executive Group would result in significant risks to the lives of the University community, lockdown procedures may be initiated immediately by University Police.
Incidents Requiring a Lockdown
Person(s) armed with a firearm or weapon on campus property, gunshots directed at or near the University campus, police incidents involving dangerous person(s) that are adjacent to or within a short distance of the campus, intruders, hazardous chemical spills, gas leaks, electrical conditions, or disasters close to the campus. These examples are not absolute but reflect the type of situation that may require a lockdown.
Emergency Lockdown Procedures
In the event of an emergency and notification of a campus lockdown, please follow the procedures below.
- Remain calm. Encourage others to remain calm.
- Immediately cease all activity (i.e., teaching, group work, meetings, etc.)
- Lock or barricade all doors where possible; use furniture or desks as cover.
- If possible, cover any windows or openings that have a direct line of sight into a hallway.
- Shut the blinds or pull the shades down. Turn off the lights and try to give the impression that the room is empty.
- Stay low, away from windows and doors
- Sit on the floor or crouch under or behind desks and bookshelves where possible, so as to be as invisible as possible.
- Immediately put all cell phones on "Vibrate" or "Silent" mode. Calls to University Police should be made only if specific information becomes available regarding the location or conduct of the intruder or if the status of the emergency changes.
- Be as quiet as possible.
- DO NOT respond to anyone at the door until an "all clear" message is received via campus notification systems (See ECSU Alert Notification Information below) or if you are certain it is safe to do so (i.e., if police are at the door).
- If you are directed by police to leave your secured area, assist others in moving as quietly and quickly as possible.
- Do not sound the fire alarm in the building unless there is a fire. People may be placed in harm’s way when they are attempting to evacuate the building. If a fire alarm does go off during a lockdown, do not evacuate unless you smell smoke or see fire in your area.
- If you are outside of a building when a lockdown is announced, if it is safe to do so, run into the nearest building with hands raised above head and palms facing outward and follow the above lockdown instructions. If it is not safe to run into a building, hide behind a large heavy object (i.e., vehicle or tree). Notify University Police of your location when safe to do so. If off-campus, do not return and follow official instructions from campus notification system.
- Be aware of alternate exits if it becomes necessary to flee.
- Individuals should not attempt to leave the building until told to do so by police personnel.
All faculty or staff in control of students at the time of the lockdown becomes responsible for those students at that time. Faculty and staff members are responsible for accounting for students and ensuring that no one leaves the safe area. Students without staff must be directed to the nearest classroom or safe building. When the condition causing the lockdown has been eliminated, an "all clear - lockdown is over" announcement will be made through the campus emergency notification system.
ECSU Alert Notifications
What are the different ways to receive emergency notifications during a campus lockdown? In the event of a campus lockdown, some of the following communication tools are used to deliver notifications during the incident.
- Emails/Text: During a lockdown, students will receive alerts through the Blackboard Connect. To sign up to receive emergency messages via text and email, add your cellphone number as your primary contact number in Self Service Banner.
- Website: During a lockdown, updates will be posted on the ECSU website (ecsu.edu).
- TV/Radio Services: University radio station (WRVS-FM 89.9) and the University TV station (Channel 18 if viewing on campus or Channel 22 if viewing via Time Warner Cable).
- Campus Hotline: Lockdown information will be available at (252) 335-3400.
- Emergency Tones: Voice and Emergency Tone Towers sound a siren alert.
- Broadcast Email: Campus-wide emails are sent to employees and students who have a university email account.
More information regarding current strategies for conveying emergency information can be found at the button below.ECSU ALERT NOTIFICATION