Cisco Clean Access FAQs
1. How do I log into the ECSU Wireless network?
You will simply put your student ID number in the user name field. Then you will put your first and middle initial followed by your last name into the password field.
2. How do I log on with Guest access?
To use guest access simply put "guest" in both the username and password field. Then make sure the provider is set to guest and hit the "login" button. You will do the same procedure for both the web based login and the Clean Access Agent.
3. Does guest access have all the same features as logging in with my name?
No, when you use guest access you will have limited features. It is recommended that you use your login information.
4. It is asking me to download some program after I log in. Should I do that?
Yes, that is the Clean Access Agent (CAA) that you will need to log on to the network. You will need to download and install this program on your computer in order to complete the login with your ID.
5. The Clean Access Agent keeps popping up on my screen what does this mean?
This means that you have not yet logged into the network. When you log into the CAA (Clean Access Agent) this window will stop popping up until the next time you login.
6. The Clean Access Agent says that I have Temporary Access what does this mean?
This means that you have failed one of the tests for successful login. If you hit the "next" button the CAA will tell you what you have failed and how to fix it.
7. The CAA tells me that Widows needs to be updated, what do I do?
When you get a Windows update notification from the CAA you simply need to update your Windows software. You can get to the windows update sight by clicking the "go to link" button or you may use the widows update icon on your computer. It is located on either the "start" menu or under the "all programs" menu. Once at Windows Update please use the express option to obtain the updates for your computer.
8. I have all my updates, what do I do now?
If you have obtained all your updates, click on the next button on the CAA window. This will start the check over and if you have all the updates it will notify you with a "you have successfully logged on to the network" message.
9. My CAA says that I need to do something with my anti-virus (AV) software what do I do?
The CAA will make sure that you have an updated AV program on your computer. If you do not have any AV software you will need to obtain some. Once you have a qualified product installed on your computer you will need to update that product. Once you have updated your AV you can simply click the "next" button. If the AV is up to date a message "you have successfully logged on to the network" will be displayed. AV software is available in the CSU bookstore. CSU supports Norton, McAfee, AVG and Trend Micro AV software. You will need to have one of these in order to log on successfully.
10. I do not know how to update my AV software how do I do it?
Every AV product is updated in a different manner. However, they all have built in update programs that will help you get the updates that you need. In order to access these programs open up your AV software. Once the software comes up, look for the update icon on the page. This will start the update program and should go out and find the updates that are required for your AV product.
11. I have logged in as "guest" now I cannot log in using my ID and password what do I do?
In order to log on with your username and password you will need to log out of "guest" access. You do this by right clicking on the clean access icon that is in your toolbar. Click the logout option when it comes up on your screen. This will log you out of the CAA and allow you to log back in with your username and password.
12. Why do I have to log on everyday?
You have to log on everyday because the system removes everyone at least once a day and after an extended period of inactivity.
13. Why will my messenger programs not work although I can get on web pages?
You have logged in with "guest" access. While you have "guest" access you will be allowed to view web pages but you will not be able to use other features of the Internet. If you would like to have complete access to the internet please log in using your username and password.
14. Who should use the "guest" access feature?
The "guest" access account is primarily for people whom are planning to spend very little time on the ECSU Wireless network. It is not made for students that are going to be on the network as their main connection to the web. The "guest" account may also be used if you are having problems with your log in or for troubleshooting purposes.
15. I do not want to update my windows to XP SP2 what do I do?
If you do not want to update your Windows software you will not be allowed on the network. You will have to complete all the critical updates from Windows to gain full access to the network.
16. Do I have to install the CAA on my computer?
Yes you will have to install the CAA on your machine in order to gain full access to the network. If you do not install the CAA then you will only be able to get "guest" access.
17. I do not know when I should scan my computer for viruses?
You should scan your computer for viruses at least once a week. If you are not scanning your computer once a week then you are not fully protecting yourself from viruses.
18. I cannot log into the CAA because it never comes up on my computer what is wrong?
You need to make sure that your firewall software is disabled or has been configured to allow the CAA to connect. The easiest way to test this is to disable the firewall and see if the CAA comes up on your machine and allows you to log in.
19. If I move off campus do I have to keep the CAA on my computer?
No you do not need to keep the CAA on your computer once you have moved off campus. If you bring your computer on campus you might want to keep it on your computer so that you can log in to get full access.
20. When my computer asks if I should upgrade my CAA to the new version what should I do?
When you are prompted to upgrade the CAA you should click "yes" to the upgrade. It should download and install it automatically.
21. My computer is running slower now can I do something to improve it?
If you have reduced performance on your computer you can try several things to fix it. You should first run your AV software to make sure you do not have any viruses on your system. You should also run an anti-spyware program such as Spybot Search and Destroy. You can also do a disk clean up to remove some of the unused files.
22. Where do I get an anti-spyware program?
There are many anti-spyware programs available on the Internet. A good place to look is www.download.com. Spybot Search and Destroy is a very good free anti-spyware program. For more information on loading and using Spybot Search and Destroy, click here.