Facilities maintenance & Campus Safety Committee
The Safety Committee exists to establish and conduct the course for employees’ safety and safe work behaviors throughout Facilities Services. To that end, the Committee will:
- Develop the strategy by which safety for all employees is nurtured and cared for.
- Make recommendations for changes concerning health and safety throughout the department.
- Establish goals and milestones by which the entire safety effort may be chartered and by which achievements may be measured.
- Develop annual plans for the continuous improvement of a comprehensive safety model
to improve safety for all employees and by which each employee may fully embrace safety
as a way of life for themselves and for their associates.
Michael J. Williams
The Safety Committee is to perform workplace inspections, review injury and illness records, make advisory recommendations to the administration, and perform other functions determined by the State Office of Human Resources or OSHA as necessary. The Safety Committee is to facilitate and encourage a safe working environment at Elizabeth City State University. The Safety Committee serves to facilitate and encourage employee knowledge about safe work practices and accident prevention.
The Safety Committee will, with a magnified foresight:
- Continually strive to a means by which each person may realize how they as individuals contribute to the general and specific welfare of all employees within Facilities Services.
- Actuate the caring spirit of each member of the Facilities Services team to excel in safety and never relax our behavior in safety.
- Respect the value of the importance of safety as we carry out our work.
- Exemplify to each member of Facilities Services how we can achieve a workplace of 100%
Facilities Services is and will continue to be known by these principles.
- Employee safety is our highest calling. The safety, health, welfare and very life of all employees are paramount and every effort will continue to be pursued to ensure that to the greatest extent.
- The safety of each employee is most important. No job is so important that we cannot take time to do it with the highest importance: safety.
- We believe in and stand for the Integrity, Commitment, Accountability, Respect and Excellence and by these we will be known and followed.
PROCESS FOR IMPLEMENTING & REVIEWING SAFETY PROGRAMS
The State of North Carolina mandates workplace safety programs for all state agencies, including universities. Elizabeth City State University falls into the category of agencies required to have committee.
State regulations require each state agency (including universities) to create health and safety committees to perform workplace inspections, review injury and illness records, make advisory recommendations to the administration, and perform other functions determined by the State Personnel Commission to be necessary for the effective implementation of the State Workplace Requirement Program.
The Chairperson of the committee may receive a request for a new safety program by any employee, it is then evaluated and approved by committee.