Class Attendance Policy
Elizabeth City State University recognizes that regular and punctual class attendance is essential to each student's academic performance. Although all learning does not take place in the formal classroom, classroom instruction is the primary vehicle for the delivery of knowledge to students, the evaluation of achievement, the forum for intellectual exchange, the skill development, and the molding of attitudes which promote the attainment of goals resident in the teaching-learning process at ECSU. This policy is designed to encourage students to make the best grades of which they are capable, while discouraging absences. In short, all students are expected to attend all class meetings of all courses in which they are enrolled.
- Excused Absence
- Religious Observances
- Students are allowed two (2) excused absences each academic year for religious observances required by the faith of a student.
- A student must submit written notice of the request for an excused absence to his/her instructor at least five (5) business days prior to the religious observance.
- A student shall be given the opportunity to make up any tests or other work missed due to an excused absence for a religious observance.
b. Participation in Official University Activities
- Students who participate in official university activities (i.e.athletic teams, the band, university committees, etc.) shall receive excused
absences to participate in the official university activities.
- Official documentation must be provided to the instructor prior to a student's participation in official university activities.
- A student shall be given the opportunity to make up any tests or other work missed due to excused absences to participate in official
- In addition to the absences set forth in Sections 1.a. and 1.b. above, students are allowed a maximum number of excused absences for
personal reasons each academic semester as set forth below:
- Religious Observances
For each academic semester:
- Three (3) credit hour course a maximum of 6 absences
- Two (2) credit hour course a maximum of 4 absences
- One (1) credit hour course a maximum of 2 absences
For each summer session:
d. Three (3) credit hour course a maximum of 2 absences
e. Two (2) credit hour course a maximum of 1 absence
f. One (1) credit hour course a maximum of 1 absence
- A student is required to submit written notice of the request for an excused absence to his/her instructor as soon as reasonablypracticable.
- A student shall be given the opportunity to make up any tests or other work missed due to excused absences for personal reasons.
- An instructor shall not impose an absence limit less than the number of times the class meets per week.
2. Unexcused Absences
- Any class absence, other than provided in Section 1. above, shall be treated as an unexcused absence.
- Instructors may exercise discretion to determine whether or not a student will be given an opportunity to make up any tests or other work missed due to unexcused absences from class.
Punctuality and Early Departure
- Expectation: Students are expected to arrive to all assigned classes on time and to remain in attendance until the class is dismissed by the instructor.
- Excessive Tardiness and Early Departures: Instructors may, in their discretion, record excessive tardiness or excessive early departures as unexcused class absences. Under this policy, excessive tardiness shall mean being tardy five (5) times during an academic semester or being tardy two (2) times during a summer session and excessive early departures shall mean departing from class prior to dismissal five (5) times during an academic semester or two (2) times during a summer session.
- Students who are given the opportunity to make up assignments or tests are obligated to complete make up work.
- Record of Attendance Instructors are obligated to keep accurate and up to date class attendance records.
- Referral to Retention Coordinator Instructors are obligated to notify students who are in jeopardy of exceeding excused absence limitations and obligated to refer such students to the Retention Coordinator.
Students may receive a grade of "FA" (Failure Due to Absenteeism) for excessive unexcused absences or for failure to complete make up assignments or make up tests associated with either excused or unexcused absences. Under this policy, excessive unexcused absences shall mean five (5) unexcused absences during an academic semester or two (2) unexcused absences during a summer session.
Appeal of Course Grade of "FA" Failure Due to Absenteeism
Students may appeal a course grade of "FA" (Failure Due to Absenteeism) in the manner set forth in ECSU's Grading, Evaluation and Academic Progress Policy (ECSU Policy 300.1.7), as it may from time to time be amended.