Elizabeth City State University awards the bachelor's degree to students who have satisfactorily fulfilled the following graduation requirements:
- completion of all General Education courses as prescribed by the university for all students;
- have an overall grade point average of 2.0, and a major grade point average of 2.0 or higher, depending on the Academic Department;
- completion of all courses and other requirements prescribed by the major Department (For specific Department or program requirements, see individual sections as described in this catalog.);
- a record of having taken and completed the required examinations or approved equivalents for exiting the program of study;
- demonstration of personal and professional qualities which are expected of an educated person, as verified or affirmed by the appropriate university officials;
- approval and recommendation by the Department and general faculty as a worthy candidate for graduation;
- filing of an Application for Graduation for the Fall by September 15, Spring by November 15, and the Summer by April 15 in the Office of the Registrar;
- meeting all financial obligations to the university through the Office of Business and Finance; and
- meeting the residence requirements of the university.
Presence of candidates for degrees is required at graduating exercises, except when permission for graduating in absentia has been granted by the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. A written request for permission to graduate in absentia must be made at least 10 days prior to Commencement Day.
It is the sole responsibility of each candidate for graduation to meet with the academic advisor of the major Department and have his or her academic record evaluated for the purpose of finding out whether all institutional and departmental requirements for graduation have been met.
All Teacher Education majors must take the required parts of the PRAXIS SERIES and have the scores on file in the Registrar's Office at least 10 days prior to Commencement Day.