Course Link pop-ups require javascript, but without, links simply open target page as expected
Elizabeth City State University
print page
Elizabeth City State University

Admission To The Social Work Program

All students who plan to earn the BSW degree must officially select Social Work as their major, complete the Declaration of Major Form and meet the following Admission Requirements:

  • apply for admission before the end of the sophomore year;
  • return the completed application along with all supporting documents by September 15 and February 15 of each year;
  • completion of the pre-professional social work courses: SOWK 205, 210, 220, 250, and 260 "C" or higher;
  • completion of all Liberal Arts and General Education courses with a "C" or higher;
  • cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.50;
  • two Letters of Recommendation (faculty member, clergy, counselor or other professional in the human services field);
  • agree to abide by the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethics; and
  • acceptable Personal Statement that addresses the assigned questions in the Social Work Program Admissions Packet.

Additional SOWK Program Policies

Only students that are accepted in the Social Work Program will be allowed to enroll in the following professional social work courses: SOWK 363, 370, 372, 390, 442, 444 and 445. A student may be dismissed from the program due to the following:

  • grade point average less than 2.50;
  • grades less than "C" in the Pre-Professional and Professional Social Work Courses;
  • unethical behavior (e.g., cheating, plagiarism, behaviors breaching the NASW Code of Ethics); and
  • failure to earn a "C" or higher in SOWK 363 and 442 after two repeats of the course(s)

Please note that students will not receive course credit for employment/work experience in human service agencies.


Transfer students (including those who have already achieved junior status) and other students who change their major to Social Work must also go through the application and admission process and be officially admitted into the Social Work Program. There is no guarantee that courses transferred from other degree programs or institutions of higher learning will substitute for required social work courses. Social Work Practice courses from other institutions cannot be transferred.