Elementary Education K-6
The Elementary Education Program offers professional education courses for students desiring to major in Elementary Education. This program prepares them to teach Kindergarten through sixth grade. The program bridges theory, course work, and practice through courses and carefully selected field experiences. A minimum of 124 semester hours is required to complete the program and majors are required to select and complete an academic concentration. After successfully completing the program, completing an electronic portfolio and meeting the required PRAXIS II scores, candidates will be eligible to apply for a North Carolina Elementary Education (K-6) teaching license.
The goals of the Elementary Education Program are:
- to prepare elementary teacher candidates to develop and implement meaningful instructional plans that meet the needs of diverse 21st Century learners;
- to assist candidates to develop the in-depth content knowledge needed to become effective teachers;
- to prepare candidates to utilize student data to inform instructional decision-making.
The Program in Elementary Education is designed to ensure that elementary grades teacher candidates:
- elementary grades teacher candidates have the knowledge and understanding of language and how language is used to develop effective communication in listening, speaking, viewing, reading, thinking, and writing;
- elementary grades teacher candidates have the knowledge and understanding of mathematical conventions and processes; skills relative to number sense; numeration; numerical operations; and algebraic thinking; spatial sense; measurement and geometry, patterns, relationships and functions, and data analysis, probability, and statistics;
- elementary grades teacher candidates have the knowledge and understanding of scientific inquiry; process skills; and concepts and applications relative to the life, physical, and earth sciences in order to be informed and productive citizens;
- elementary grades teacher candidates have the necessary knowledge specific for producing knowledgeable, global citizens who are critical thinkers in a democratic society;
- elementary grades teacher candidates have the knowledge and understanding of mental, emotional, physical, and social health to empower students to make healthy lifestyle choices;
- elementary grades teacher candidates integrate the arts throughout the curriculum.