North Carolina Department of Public Instruction Standards
The Program in Special Education: General Curriculum (K-12) is designed to prepare candidates to meet the following standards:
- Know the policies process, and procedures for providing special education services.
- Have the knowledge and skills to use a variety of assessment techniques to plan and implement instruction, monitor student progress, and document learning.
- Have a broad working knowledge of research-validated instructional and behavioral strategies to facilitate learning across the curriculum for K-12 students.
- Have the knowledge and skills to use systematic, explicit, multi-sensory methods to teach communication skills, reading, written expression, and mathematics.
- Have the knowledge and skills to teach students to use behaviors that promote success in the learning environment, which include the development of social competence.
- Collaborate and consult with families, general education teachers and other professionals to further the academic and social development of students.