Elizabeth City State University
Earns Top Rankings
U.S. News and World Report rank
- US News and World Report's 2017 edition of Best Colleges ranked Elizabeth City State University 19th among the nation’s 107 Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
- U.S. News and Word Report's 2016 edition of Best Colleges ranked Elizabeth City State University #2 in the publication's category of Top Public Schools (Regional Colleges in the South). The publication ranked the university #20 among the 50 Historically Black Colleges and Universities evaluated. Between 1999 and 2016, ECSU repeatedly earned national acclaim in U.S. News and World Report Magazine's ranking of "Best Colleges."
- ECSU ranked among top 10 HBCUs that retain freshmen. U.S. News and World Report's 2014 edition of Best Colleges ranked Elizabeth City State University #6 on U. S. News' list of Historically Black Colleges where freshmen are most likely to return.
Washington Monthly rank
- For four consecutive years, Washington Monthly ranked ECSU #1 among its baccalaureate colleges (2012-2015). This guide measures institutions based on their contribution to the public good in three major areas: civic engagement, research and social mobility.
- Ranked #14 Best Bang for the Buck institutions (2017).
Other Rankings and Recognitions
MONEY MAGAZINE AND ESSENCE
Money magazine in cooperation with Essence has ranked Elizabeth City State University as one of the top 15 HBCUs in the nation, and one of the top 50 best universities for African-American students. ECSU is one of the top value institutions for African-American students based on academic quality, affordability, earning potential and opportunity.
BEST VALUES SCHOOL WEBSITE
Elizabeth City State University was listed as the #1 institution on the Best Value Schools website for "The 100 Most Affordable Small Colleges in America 2015."
Ranked #8 by College Choice "Best Historically Black Colleges and Universities" (2015)
MILITARY FRIENDLY® SCHOOL
For the past three years, Elizabeth City State University has been named to the Military Friendly® Schools list, earning the honor of "Gold Status" in the current edition (2017). ECSU is one of approximately 1,600 Military Friendly® Schools-- institutions that exhibit leading practices to support military students.
BUILDING GREEN INITIATIVE
Elizabeth City State University ranks #3 among the top, public Historically Black Colleges/Universities (HBCUs) in a 2014 survey that analyzes efforts the institutions are taking to effectively manage energy. The Building Green Initiative at Clark Atlanta University partnered with the North Carolina Institute for Minority Economic Development to conduct a comprehensive sustainability survey of HBCUs.
DIVERSE ISSUES IN HIGHER EDUCATION
Ranked #1 by for African American production of Masters Degrees in Mathematics. (2014)