The Department of Natural Sciences, Pharmacy & Health Professions provides a solid educational foundation in both theoretical and investigative science with an emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving skills. The department prepares students for productive careers and entry into graduate or professional schools.
The department offers three majors leading to the Bachelor of Science Degree: Bachelor of Science in Biology, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Science. The department offers one major leading to the Master of Science Degree with a concentration in Biological Sciences or Biology Education.
Students have the option of selecting a minor in Comprehensive Science which prepares them to receive a Class “A” public instruction license. Students also have the option of selecting a concentration from the following:
- General Biology
- Medical Physics
- Pre-health Professionals
- Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
- Assist students in understanding basic unifying scientific principles through the provision of relevant facts, concepts, and theories;
- Provide learning experiences to stimulate critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Enhance the overall educational experience of students with an interdisciplinary curriculum designed to enhance student performance on professional examinations;
- Prepare students to be competitive for entry into the workforce or graduate and professional programs;
- Collaborate with public school teachers, graduates, and professional institutions to broaden scientific career opportunities;
- Attract, recruit, retain and produce more competitive students by enhancing program offerings and requirements to meet the global needs of the science major; and
- Provide an atmosphere that will promote participation of faculty and students in professional development and community outreach activities.
Eyualem Abebe, Ph. D, Chair
Dr. Herman G. Cooke Department of Natural Sciences
Campus Box 930
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
Fax: (252) 335-3697