division of student success
The Elizabeth City State University Division of Student Success is comprised of the
Department of University Studies, the Office of Retention, TRIO and Special Programs,
and Faculty Engagement. The newly established division provides services which support
retention, persistence, progression, and the continuum of student success from the
first-year experience to graduation.
The Department of University Studies provides the Viking First Year Experience for incoming first time freshmen students. The first year experience includes the General Education curriculum, first year advising, the First Year Pinning Ceremony, Freshman Seminar I and II, and service learning.
The Division of Student Success provides a continuum of program initiatives and services to promote a successful college transition, student development and self-efficacy, academic and personal success, engagement, timely graduation, and lifelong learning from the first year to graduation.
The Division of Student Success works collaboratively with university and community stakeholders to implement program initiatives, services, and activities in support of the following goals:
- To increase the freshman retention rate.
- To increase learning opportunities and academic support services to improve academic
- To implement innovative strategies, activities, and events to impact retention, persistence,
- To build a university wide student success culture through collaboration with faculty,
and students to align access, services, expectations, and communication to improve student
- To prepare students for pathways to timely graduation.
For Additional Information you may contact:
Johnna Coleman-Yates, Dean of Student Success,Office of Student Success
A23 H. L. Trigg Building
Phone: (252) 335-8764
Fax: (252) 335-8765