Welcome to Aviation Science
The Aviation Science Program at Elizabeth City State University is the only four-year aviation education program offered in the State of North Carolina. The Aviation Science Program seeks to become a model aviation education program for institutions in North Carolina and the nation.
(YouTube App required for full experience on mobile devices)
For students interested in careers as professional pilots, the weather and temperatures of northeastern North Carolina are near perfect for maximizing the number of days available for flight training activities.
The aviation programs at Elizabeth City State University offer students a comprehensive education in their chosen aviation area of study. Moreover, the curriculum offers general education and liberal arts courses that are intended to help students to broaden their perspectives about themselves and their careers while, at the same time, giving them the knowledge and confidence to be successful in the competitive fields of aviation and aerospace.
Aviation students have a range of aviation program options from which to choose. The program offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Aviation Science with minors in the areas of Aviation Management, Electronics, Aviation Computer Science, Avionics, Public Administration, Flight Education, and Space Science.
As the only four-year collegiate aviation education program in the State of North Carolina, the mission of the Aviation Science Program is to provide quality aviation education to a diverse group of students, especially those who have been underrepresented in the aviation and aerospace industries. The program offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Aviation Science with minors in the areas of Aviation Management, Electronics, Aviation Computer Science, Avionics, Public Administration, Flight Education, and Space Science. The program will continue to offer the most relevant courses and programs so as to meet the general education and aviation education needs of the students, the community, and the business interests served by the University. The aviation degree program and the minors are designed to prepare students for the rigorous employment demands of the highly competitive aviation and aerospace industries.
Elizabeth City State University is the only four-year institution in the State of North Carolina that offers aviation education. The Aviation Science Program seeks to become a model aviation education program for institutions in North Carolina and the nation. The program will be a significant provider of aviation- and aerospace-educated employees and entrepreneurs for the local areas of Elizabeth City and Pasquotank County, North Carolina, and the nation. As the State of North Carolina was the "first in flight", the Aviation Science Program is the first in aviation and space education for the University of North Carolina System and for the State of North Carolina.
Aviation Science Program Educational Goals
- PEO1: Maintain distinction as the premiere aviation program addressing 21st century industry requirements.
- PEO2: Develop partnerships with both industry and government to ensure students understand the role and economic impact of global aviation and provide opportunities for scholarship.
- PEO3: Produce highly competent aviation professionals with the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to compete in the rapidly changing and competitive aviation/aerospace industry.
- PEO4: Recruit and retain quality students by providing a superior aviation education and state-of-the-art training facility.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply mathematics, science, and applied sciences to aviation related disciplines;
- Analyze and interpret data;
- Work effectively on multi-disciplinary and diverse teams;
- Make professional and ethical decisions;
- Communicate effectively, using both written and oral communication skills;
- Engage in and recognize the need for life-long learning;
- Assess contemporary issues;
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern technology necessary for professional practice;
- Assess the national and international aviation environment;
- Apply pertinent knowledge in identifying and solving problems;
- Apply knowledge of business sustainability to aviation issues.