Frequently Asked Questions

for students


How can I get a copy of my transcript?

For official copies of your transcript, please see our Transcript Requests page. Unofficial copies (i.e. for academic advising) are available on Self-Service Banner.

How much does a transcript cost?

There is an $5.00 charge for each transcript plus shipping and handling. Orders can be placed online, within Self-Service Banner or you may order an electronic copy of your official transcript through the National Student Clearinghouse. All transcripts are $5.00 per copy with additional costs for using this online service.

How do I get a letter certifying that I am a student (i.e. for insurance).

On SSB students can obtain a verification certificate. Under the Student Records tab, the link NSC. This is an official document. Some agencies still require a letter, therefore students will need to submit a Student Verification form and hand deliver or  e-mail

Can a lender get verification that a borrower is a current student?

Yes, all of our enrollment certifications for lenders are done through the National Student Clearinghouse. Lenders may contact them at 703-742-7791 for more information.

Where can I get a Permit for Transient Study form?

The Permit for Transient Study form is located online. Please view the Admission Requirements: Special/Transient page for additional information.

If I have a hold on my account. What do I do to take care of this?

Log on Self Service Banner to see what type of hold you have on your account. If  you're unable to see the hold, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 252-335-3300 or 252-335-3302 and we can send you to the appropriate office. For balance holds, please contact Student Accounts. 

      I need a class to graduate, but the class is full, what can I do?

      The student must contact the instructor and Department Chair to seek approval for a capacity override.

        How do I apply for graduation?

This process begins in the student’s major department with their advisor or department chair. There’s an application for graduation process.

Do I qualify for a degree with distinction?

Degrees with distinction are awarded to graduating seniors in the following categories:

  • Cum Laude for GPA 3.25 through 3.59
  • Magna Cum Laude for GPA 3.60 through 3.79
  • Summa Cum laude for GPA 3.80 through 4.00
To be eligible for degrees with distinction, a student must have earned at least 55 semester hours in residence at Elizabeth City State University. The student must also have the required overall average in all course work attempted..
Any decision about Graduation Honors not stated above is to be addressed by the Academic Standards and Credits Committee.
No, Students cannot choose which courses that are accepted.  Transfer credits are determined by the Transfer Coordinator for General Education requirements and the academic department for major requirements.

 65 credits can be accepted from a community college and 94 credits from a university.  If students have attended both a community college and a university, the total number of credits that will be accepted is 94 credits. Grades   must be “C” or higher for transfer credit to be given.

  • School Code for ACT is 3095
  • School Codes for College Board/SAT is 5629
  • School Codes for FAFSA is 002926

 How do I withdraw from the University?

A student who wishes or is asked to leave the University at any time during the semester shall complete and file official withdrawal forms. These forms may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar located in the Marion D. Thorpe Administration Building, first floor.

Students who withdraw from the University prior to the published deadline to withdraw from the University shall receive a "WD" in all classes they’re still enrolled in.  Failure to execute and file these forms in a timely manner will result in a student incurring the penalty of receiving an "F" for each course in which he or she was enrolled during the semester in question.

I got dropped from my classes for nonpayment, what do I do?

Students must see Student Accounts or Financial Aid to receive approval to add classes back. Student Accounts will notify the Office of the Registrar through E4U regarding the student’s eligibility to pay.  The Office of the Registrar will remove the hold and the student can re-register for courses.

1. What is Waitlist?

  1. Waitlisting is an enrollment management tool that allows students to “get in line” for a spot in a class that’s full and wait in line to see if a spot might open in the course.

  2. How do I put myself on a course’s Waitlist?

  1. Students register for or drop the Waitlist using the same Banner process used to register for a course.
  2. The only difference is the registration action will say Wait Listed.

 3. How do I know when it is my term to register for a waitlisted course?

  1. You will be sent an email notification to your preferred email address.
  2. When you are on the waitlist, check your email often.

 4. What do I do when I receive a notice that a seat is available?

  1. You will have 24 hours to register for the course.
  2. Contact your Advisor or Log into Banner.
  3. Go to the Add or Drop Classes link.
  4. Click the downward arrow in the box next to the waitlisted course. Select Web Register and click the Submit button to register.

 5. How long will I have to register when a spot opens?

  1. You have 24 hours from the time the email notification was sent to you.

 6. Where do I see my spot in line on the Waitlist?

  1. Your spot on the Waitlist displays in your Student Detail Schedule.
  2. When the spot displays at zero, this means it is your turn.

 7. Can I put myself on the Waitlist for multiple course offerings?

  1. Yes

 8. Can I register for the Waitlist if I have a registration hold?

  1. No

 9. Will I be billed for a waitlisted course?

  1. No. A waitlisted course does not count in enrollment. Therefore you will not receive a bill for a waitlisted course.

Waitlisted course on schedule10. What if I no longer wish to be on a course’s Waitlist?

  1. Out of courtesy to other students, please drop your name from the Waitlist.
  2. You can drop the Waitlist course by contacting your Advisor or using your Banner account.

 11. What is the priority of students on the Waitlist?

  1. Students are listed in first come first serve order. 
  2. The order is the order in which the students were registered on the Waitlist.

 12. Can a student bypass a Waitlist by asking an Instructor for a Permit Override?

  1. No