Requirements for Baccalaureate Degree
Each student is responsible for proper completion of his or her academic program, for familiarity with the Elizabeth City State University Catalog, for maintaining the grade point average required, and for meeting all other degree requirements. The academic advisor will counsel, but the final responsibility for a successful college career rests with the student.
Though appropriate Elizabeth City State University faculty and staff make every effort to insure that students register for the courses required by their chosen degree program, the ultimate responsibility for meeting graduation requirements lies with the individual student. Each candidate for graduation must meet all of the following requirements
- Have a minimum of 120 semester hours of course in accordance with specific degree requirements;
- Have successfully completed all General Education courses as prescribed by the University;
- Have a grade of “C” (2.0) or better in the following English Composition courses, ENGL 102 and 103 or ENGL 104H and 105H;
- Have successfully completed a program for an academic major;
- Have an overall grade point average of 2.0, and a major grade point average of 2.0 or higher, depending on the academic department;
- Complete a minimum of 25% of semester credit hours applied toward the degree through regular enrollment in ECSU courses; (have a minimum of 30 semester hours of credit at the upper level applied toward a bachelor’s degree which must be earned through regular enrollment in ECSU courses, including a minimum of 15 semester hours of credit in junior/senior-level courses in the major field);
- All Teacher Education majors must take the required parts of the PRAXIS SERIES and have the scores on file in the Registrar’s Office at least 10 days prior to Commencement Day;
- A student who does not graduate with the class he or she enters may meet ECSU requirements for graduation as stated in the ECSU catalog in effect for the year entered, if graduation occurs within six years. Otherwise, the student will be expected to meet the requirements as stated in the ECSU catalog in effect at the time of reentry if he or she returns as a full-time degree student. If he or she returns as a part-time student, the student will be expected to meet the requirements as stated in the ECSU catalog in the year which work is begun on the final 15 hours. Matriculating students who begin their enrollment during the summer session will be governed by the ECSU catalog for the forthcoming Fall semester;
- Completion of all courses and other requirements prescribed by the major department (For specific department or program requirements, reference individual sections as described in the ECSU catalog.);
- A record of having taken and completed the required examinations or approved equivalents for exiting the program of study;
- Demonstration of personal and professional qualities which are expected of an educated person, as verified or affirmed by the appropriate university officials;
- Approval and recommendation by the department and general faculty as a worthy candidate for graduation;
- Filing of an Application for Graduation for the Fall semester by a September deadline
to be determined by the Office of the Registrar, and Spring semester by a November
deadline to be determined by the Office of the Registrar.
- Meet all financial obligations to the University through the Office of Business and Finance.
It is the sole responsibility of each candidate for graduation to meet with the academic advisor of the major department and have his or her academic record evaluated to determine whether all institutional and departmental requirements for graduation have been met.