Student Complaint and Grievance Process


Student grievances against Elizabeth City State University, including claims that their rights under law or university policy have been violated, may be resolved by a two-step process.

Step 1 – All Students (Excluding Military Affiliated Students):

The initial responsibility for the complaint resides with the institution. Thus, your first step as a student, regardless of location, is to follow Elizabeth City State University Student Grievance Procedures. Student complaints and grievances can be submitted by using the ECSU Fillable Complaint Form.


Contact Information for Student Complaints and Grievance Process

Mrs. Dana Poole

Interim Executive Director of Student Success and Retention
Office of Student Success and Retention
Elizabeth City State University
1704 Weeksville Rd.
Elizabeth City, NC | 27909
Phone:  (252) 335-3475

Dr. Trina Gregory

University Program Specialist
Distance Eduation
Elizabeth City State University 
Campus Box 924
1704 Weeksville Rd
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
Phone: 252-335-3112

Fax: 252-335-3426 


Contact information relating to non-academic grievances can be found on the Safe ECSU website. (For Nature of Report, select Other).

Step 2 – Your Location Determines Your Next Step:

  • Most Out-of-State Students: If your complaint is not resolved at the institutional level (Step 1), then out-of-state students residing in NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement) states, which includes all states except California, may submit complaints to SARA-North Carolina. SARA-North Carolina operates under NCSEAA (North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority). Access the Complaint Form at SARA-North Carolina Student Complaint Process web page.
  • Contact Information for NCSEAA c/o SARA North Carolina:
    North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints 
    c/o Student Complaints
    P.O. Box 41349
    Raleigh, NC 27629

Toll free: 855.SARA.1.NC (727.2162)
Local: 919.549.8614, ext. 4667
Fax: 919.248.6667

Although students are required to file their complaints with SARA-NC, students can also submit a complaint to their home state as well. Students who reside in California must file a complaint against the institution in their home state of California.  Students living outside of North Carolina, also have the right to file a complaint in their home state as well. If you wish to file a complaint in your home state regarding an institutional complaint, please view your State and agency Contacts.

  • North Carolina Residents: If your complaint is not resolved at the institutional level (Step 1), then you may refer your complaint to the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaint Process of the Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina System Office. The policy is at Student Complaint Policy (PDF); the complaint form is at Student Complaint Form.
Southern Association of College and Schools Commissions on Colleges (SACSCOC)
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033
Telephone: (404) 679-4500