It is important that all distance education students have convenient access to appropriate technology. It is not required for you to have the newest computer and fastest internet connection to attend courses online. Be aware that individual courses may require additional access to textbooks, CDs, DVDs, video tapes, audio tapes, or other specialized software. Information on course-specific, required materials is provided to students at the beginning of each semester.
All online distance education courses use ECSU’s learning management system, Blackboard. On campus courses and off campus distance education courses may also require the use of Blackboard. If your instructor uses Blackboard for your on campus or off campus distance education course you will have access to that course when you access Blackboard.
Blackboard is ECSU’s learning management system used to deliver course content, administer quizzes, submit assignments, and more, all in a secure online environment. Course content is typically accessed asynchronously, however, instructors may utilize synchronous technology such as Blackboard Collaborate or Microsoft Teams as a required part of your course.
Blackboard Student App
To access files with Google Drive system and browser requirements must be met.
Some faculty may also provide recorded lectures via Echo 360. These Echo360 lectures will be made available to you through your Blackboard Course menu under a link titled “Echo360 Class Recordings”.
To participate in Online distance education courses and programs at ECSU, students are required to have convenient access to the minimum technology specifications listed below.
- Desktop or Laptop CPU: 1GHz CPU (2.5 GHz recommended)
- Screen Resolution: 800 X 600 resolution (1024 X 768 or higher recommended)
- RAM: 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
- Hard Drive: 10 GB of free space on hard drive (320 GB HD 5400 rpm or 256 GB solid state recommended)
- Internet Connection: DSL or cable modem (High Speed (T1, DSL, Cable or Satellite) recommended - make sure that your Internet connection provides upload speeds of at least 5 Mbps and download speeds of at least 15 Mbps)
- Sound card and speakers: Speakers and headphone/mic jacks
- USB: 1 USB 3.0 port
- Camera: Yes
Operating System and Software Requirements
- Operating System:
- Windows 7 or better (Windows 10 recommended)
- Macintosh OS 9 or higher (Mac OS 10.12 or higher recommended)
- Microsoft Office: 2003 or higher (Microsoft Office 365 recommended (Note: Provided to ECSU students for free)
- Virus protection
- Apple Safari (Mac Only) latest version
- Google Chrome latest version
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or higher (Not Supported)
- Mozilla FireFox latest version
- Microsoft Edge (PC running Windows 10 only)
- Blackboard Browser Checker
Software Recommendations (Latest Versions)
Internet Browser Plug-Ins (Latest Versions)
- QuickTime Player
- Adobe Flash Player
- Windows Media Player
- Java Runtime Environment
Microsoft Office 365
ECSU offers its students and employees access to the Microsoft Office suite in the cloud. Access MS Office applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook (Mail), Skype and OneNote or download the latest versions from the ECSU / MS Office portal. Share your files with fellow students, professors and colleagues to collaborate in real time or at your convenience.
ITS Software Downloads
Software is available to students registered for classes in the current term to install at no additional charge, contact IT Client Services for assistance.