Summer Financial Aid
Students attending classes over the summer may be eligible to receive aid to assist with summer costs. Summer aid typically consists of aid not utilized between the fall and spring semesters. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will begin packaging students for the summer by the end of March. Once your account has been reviewed, you will be notified of your summer award via your university email. Your award will be available in your Self-Service Banner. You must be registered for classes in order for your eligibility to be determined. Please note minimum enrollment hours for most aid eligibility below:
|Undergraduate Students||Graduate Students|
|12+ hours = Full time||6+ hours = Full time|
|9-11 hours = Three Quarter time||4-5 hours = Three Quarter time|
|6-8 hours = Half time||3 hours = Half time|
In order to receive summer aid, students must:
- meet all the Basic Student Eligibility criteria: https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/eligibility
- have a processed FAFSA on file and satisfy any outstanding financial aid requirements;
- be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP); spring grades may affect summer aid
- must be enrolled in the minimum credit hours.
If you do not have remaining eligibility and still wish to attend summer school, you will need to prepare to do so at your own expense and be prepared to pay your balance in full. Due to the length of the summer semester, payment plans are not available.
Types of Available Summer Aid
- Federal Pell Grant (Undergraduate Students Only) -The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will automatically determine your eligibility for a summer Pell Grant. If you received Pell during the fall and spring semester, you may have remaining summer eligibility.
- Federal Student Loans - The Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans are available during the summer semester for students who have not exceeded their annual loan limit.
Direct Parent PLUS Loan (Dependent Undergraduate Students Only) – Parents may apply or increase their current PLUS loan to be utilized in the summer. The application is available for completion at studentaid.gov.
- Graduate PLUS Loan (Graduate Students Only) – Graduate students may apply for or increase their current PLUS loan to be utilized for summer. The application is available for completion at studentaid.gov.
- Alternative Loans – Alternative/Private Loans are available during the summer semester. Be mindful of lender rates and terms as you apply.
Note: Scholarships are not offered by the Office of Financial Aid during the summer but may be awarded through outside sources.