The study of psychology provides knowledge regarding the causes of behavior and psychologicalmethods of investigation. A background in psychology promotes within an individuala sense of competence and efficiency through a better understanding of development,learning, cognition, and emotion. Therefore, a fundamental effort in the Psychology program is to impart to students a thorough knowledge of the practical, scientific, and theoretical/philosophical factorsassociated with the study of human behavior.
In concert with the overall mission of Elizabeth City State University, the Psychology program endeavors to develop in undergraduate students a better understandingof the social, biological, and environmental factors that impact the human experiencefrom a global, overall perspective. Students are presented the opportunity to preparefor graduate study in psychology, marketing, law enforcement, and education. The program's objectives can be translated into specific purposes/goals relevant to obtaining theBachelor of Science Degree in Psychology at Elizabeth City State University. Theseobjectives are as follows:
- Enhancing student ability to think critically and quantitatively.
- Providing relevant and rigorous academic coursework, the successful completion ofwhich results in reception of a Bachelor of Science Degree.
- Providing students with the knowledge, skills, and academic preparation necessaryfor the pursuit of advanced degrees in graduate and professional schools; thereby,facilitating viable employment opportunities.
- Providing students with a broad understanding of the types of problems in local, national,and international communities which can be addressed via the application of knowledgeobtained from a study of psychology.
Plan of Study
Bachelor of Science in Pyschology
Health & Wellness Promotions
- Human Factors
- Neuro Psychology
- University Human Resources
- University Administrator
- Mental Health Counselor
- Family Therapist
- School Psychologist
- Prison Support Associate
- Parole Officer
- Group Home Support
- University Instructor
Psi Chi, an International Honor Society in Psychology
Some of our graduates have attended the graduate programs at the following institutions:
- Capella University
- Chicago Professional School
- East Carolina University
- Howard University
- Liberty University
- Norfolk State University
- North Carolina A&T State University
- North Carolina Central University
- Phoenix University
- Praire View A & M University
- Reagent University
- Southern Illinois University
- St. James School of Medicine
- Uniformed Service Institute
- University of South Carolina
- Waldon University
Additional Fees not Included in Tuition
Internship Required? Yes or No, if so what semester and are there any fees associated
Laboratory fees associated with the course(s)? Yes or No
Are Online Subscription's required for course(s)? Yes or No
Membership fees associated with academic program? Yes or No
If you live outside North Carolina and are considering enrolling in an online or a face-to-face program that leads to a professional licensure or certification, we highly recommended that you contact the appropriate state licensing agency in your state or the state where you intend to work to seek the most up-to-date information about state licensure requirements before beginning the program. Elizabeth City State University makes every effort to ensure information about educational requirements for licensure is current; however, licensure regulations are frequently revised. Separate from educational requirements, state licensure boards may require applicants to complete professional examinations, background checks, years of professional experience, jurisprudence exams, etc.
Have questions about professional licensure requirements? Submit questions here.
345 Willie and Jacqueline Gilchrist Education and Psychology Complex
Campus Box 868