division of student success
The Elizabeth City State University Division of Student Success is comprised of theDepartment
of University Studies, the Office of Retention, TRIO and Special Programs,and Faculty
Engagement. The newly established division provides services which supportretention,
persistence, progression, and the continuum of student success from thefirst-year
experience to graduation.
The Department of University Studies provides the Viking First Year Experience forincoming first time freshmen students. The first year experience includes the GeneralEducation curriculum, first year advising, the First Year Pinning Ceremony, FreshmanSeminar I and II, and service learning.
The Division of Student Success provides a continuum of program initiatives and servicesto promote a successful college transition, student development and self-efficacy,academic and personal success, engagement, timely graduation, and lifelong learningfrom the first year to graduation.
The Division of Student Success works collaboratively with university and communitystakeholders to implement program initiatives, services, and activities in supportof the following goals:
- To increase the freshman retention rate.
- To increase learning opportunities and academic support services to improve academicperformance
- To implement innovative strategies, activities, and events to impact retention, persistence,and
- To build a university wide student success culture through collaboration with faculty,staff,
and students to align access, services, expectations, and communication to improvestudent
- To prepare students for pathways to timely graduation.
For Additional Information you may contact:
Johnna Coleman-Yates, Dean of Student Success,Office of Student Success
A23 H. L. Trigg Building
Phone: (252) 335-8764
Fax: (252) 335-8765