1098-T Tax Information
2021 1098-T Tax Forms are immediately available online.
The Internal Revenue Service requires that Elizabeth City State University issue Form
1098-T Tuition Payments Statement to students for the purpose of determining a student's
eligibility for the AOTC, American Opportunity Tax Credit.
Qualified tuition and related expenses as determined by the IRS does not include some fees, room, board, insurance, medical expenses (including student health fee), transportation and similar personal, living or family expenses. These items will not be found on your 1098-T.
In previous years, your 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) we billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year.
Due to a change to IRS reporting regulations, starting 2018 we now report in Box 1
the amount QTRE paid during the calendar year.
Why Form 1098-T is important to you? (PDF)
If you have specific questions regarding the use of the 1098-T or concerns about how this form affects your tax situation, please seek the advice of a tax professional. Elizabeth City State University does not provide tax advice.
Every student with a reportable transaction will receive form 1098-T (with exceptions). A student is anyone enrolled in courses for which academic credit is given.
- Any adjustments made from prior year amounts billed will be found in Box 4.
- Any scholarships and/or grants will be reported in Box 5.
- Any adjustments made from prior year scholarships and/or grants will be reported in Box 6.
You may retrieve a copy of your 1098-T tax statement electronically on SSB for students if you need additional copies by taking the following actions:
- Go to the ECSU webpage.
- Choose the option for Banner.
- Scroll down to the option SSB for Students.
- Choose the option enter the secure area on SSB.
- Enter your Domain User Id and Password.
- Choose the Student tab under the logo.
- Choose View My Bill/Make a Payment.
- Click on Statements.
- Click on View 1098T statement.
For more information about Tax Form 1098T (LINK)