The ECSU website should be an informational resource and an interactive, evolving communication medium for prospective and current students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, parents and families, friends of ECSU, and the surrounding community. The web standards are reviewed regularly.
The ECSU World Wide Web URL is www.ecsu.edu. The ECSU website is an official University communications and branding tool. Content areas are available to official ECSU departments, academic offices, and organizations. Official University pages must be accurate and current. Out of date information must be removed and new information added on a regular basis. This is the responsibility of the unit head and faculty or staff authors who provided the information to their unit page editor.
Official ECSU web pages share a standard design
All pages that reside at www.ecsu.edu will have the same standard design that has been approved by Communications & Marketing. Any sites designed by outside persons/vendors will be incorporated into the approved design before being uploaded to the www.ecsu.edu website. Exceptions must be approved and reviewed annually by the DIT Chief Information Officer, the Director of Communications & Marketing.
Page content - keep it accurate, on-brand, relevant, and valuable
Content is the heart and soul of every website. Without it, most sites wouldn't exist. Create content that is engaging, interesting, up-to-date, accurate, on-brand and most importantly, relevant and valuable to your audiences.
University divisions and department heads are accountable for page content
It is the responsibility of the unit head to approve content for their area. Unit heads appoint designated page editors to create and maintain page content. The unit head/designee is responsible for ensuring that the individual developing the content maintains it and keeps the information timely and accurate. Each unit is responsible for the content in their content area. Content is solely the responsibility of the person who authors the information and the unit head who approved it. Persons who note errors in the content on pages of the ECSU website should contact the page editor for that area. If they fail to take appropriate action submit the information directly to the page editor's unit head.
Communications and Marketing and Information Technology units are not content experts, they cannot authorize content to be published, and they do not perform page edits for academic or business units. These units do not author, edit, format, or publish content. Each University unit provides these services by designating page editors.
Web page editors directory
Consult the web page editors directory to find your unit editor.
Contact Communications and Marketing for more information about page editors.
Items that are not permissible
The following is not permissible on any page of the ECSU website:
- Copyrightable or licensed materials for which the necessary permissions for use have not been obtained or an exception permitting use applies.
- Collection of credit card information.
- Material for commercial gain unrelated to the university
- Material contributing to illegal activities (unless used in an appropriate academic context)
- Material or speech that is unlawful (unless used in an appropriate academic context)
- Material that is intended to damage, to interfere with, or place an excessive load on a computer system or network
- Material that is personal in nature to any individual
Placement of advertising or links to commercial websites is prohibited. However, ECSU has the authority to approve advertising or links to commercial websites if:
- Subscription services paid by the university;
- Information that relates to or supports teaching, research, or service mission of ECSU;
- Listings of sponsors and logos for a performance or special event.
Links to non-university sites will always open in a new browser window.