Change of Status


Admission to pursue a degree program at Elizabeth City State University as a nonimmigrant requires the ability to obtain an appropriate legal status to study full time. Generally, nonimmigrant applicants obtain either F-1 status; however, there are other nonimmigrant status categories which will allow study inside the United States. Interested applicants should visit the University's website and contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment, email; or the Office of Graduate Education,  to obtain specific admissions procedures and requirements. Eligibility for issuance of I-20 requires admission to the University as well as financial guarantee in the minimum amount of $19,234.00 (USD).


Please contact the PDSO/DSO at (252) 335-3303 or email with specific questions related to transferring inside the United States or instructions for "Change of Status" requirements to matriculate at the University. Please keep in mind that both the SEVIS transfer process and the request to change status inside the United States can be lengthy processes. You may not have employment authorization and in some cases, you may not be eligible for enrollment at ECSU until the formal notice of action is received and/or the transfer is completed in SEVIS.