Maintaining Lawful Status
Maintaining Lawful F-1 Status
International students in F-1student status must satisfy these requirements to remain in lawful status:
- Have a valid passport (must be valid for a minimum of 6 months in the future at all times
- Valid Form I-20 issued by Elizabeth City State University
- Maintain continuous full-time enrollment during the Fall and Spring Semesters
- Limit on-campus employment (including teaching and research assistantships) to a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- Refrain from any type of off-campus employment without the consent of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). (Only USCIS can grant off-campus employment.)
- Purchase and maintain University student health plan
Important Note: Failure to maintain lawful nonimmigrant status negatively could impact applications
for future immigration benefits. If you violate the terms of your nonimmigrant status,
you are not allowed to work - including assistantships. It may be possible to enroll
for less than full-time studies under certain circumstances.