International Transfer Students


All transfer students must submit the SEVIS Transfer-In Form with the appropriate section completed by an advisor at the current international students’ university. Copies of the current immigration documents (ex: current I-20, I-94 cards, Employment Authorization Document, etc.) should be attached to the SEVIS Transfer-In Form before submitting to the Office of the Registrar.

Transfer applicants should also indicate on the front of the SEVIS Transfer-In Form whether or not you intend to leave the United States before beginning studies at Elizabeth City State University. If you are currently in F-1 status at another university and plan to transfer to ECSU without leaving the United States, complete your transfer process through the PDSO/DSO in the Office of the Registrar within the first two weeks of the semester in which you enroll at ECSU. This transfer process cannot take place until after classes begin. If you are in F-1 status and intend to leave the US and reenter from abroad before you begin your program at ECSU, please contact the  the PDSO/DSO in the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible. You can use ECSU’s I-20 when you reenter from abroad.

All transfer students are required to complete the Financial Guarantee Form as well.

Transferring from ECSU to another U.S. institution

An F-1 student who intends to stop attending Elizabeth City State University and attend another U.S. school must request that their SEVIS record be electronically “released”, or transferred, to that school.
In order to process a SEVIS transfer, the student must notify the PDSO/DSO in the Office of the Registrar of the intent to transfer to another U.S. institution.

A student will be eligible to transfer out if the following are true:

  • The student has been maintaining F-1 status.
  • The student has been admitted to the transfer-in school.
  • The course of study at the transfer-in school will begin within 5 months of the end of the course of study at the transfer-out school OR within 5 months of the transfer release date, whichever is earlier.

The student must provide the PDSO/DSO with the following documentation:

  • Written confirmation of admission to another SEVIS approved school
  • SEVIS Transfer-Out Form

The student must request a specific SEVIS release date, which is the date the PDSO/DSO will transfer the SEVIS record to the new school. At this time Elizabeth City State University will no longer have access to the student’s record in the SEVIS system. Students should not travel outside of the U.S. until they receive the new Form I-20 from the other institution. Also, students will not be able to work on the ECSU campus once the SEVIS record is transferred out. If a student has off-campus work authorization, this will also end once the SEVIS record is transferred.