Common Questions and Answers

frequently asked questions

Will a program for family members still be offered?

  • Yes, the Family Orientation program will also be offered in a virtual format.  Registration is required, make sure your student has included you on their registration and we will email information directly to you.

Is Virtual Orientation Required?

  • Orientation continues to be required for all incoming students and optional, but highly recommend for family members and supporters.

When will I register for courses?

  • Course registration is completed after consultation with an academic advisor.  Virtual advising will be available for you, and details on the process and timing will be share with you after you register for an orientation session.

How is ECSU responding to Coronavirus?

 Whom Do I Contact for Special Accommodations?

  • Students in need of special accommodations for testing, or any other reason, must call the Office of Disability Services at (252) 335-3642 or (252) 335-3273.

Whom Do I Contact for Testing Accommodations?

  • There is no longer an ECSU specific placement exam. Academic programs will use SAT/ACT scores to determine course placement.
  • Some Transfer Students may still be required to take placement tests.
  • Transfer students wishing to schedule a placement testing date prior to NSO must call the Counseling and Testing Center at (252) 335-3273.

Does ECSU Offer the SAT? Yes!

  • The On Campus SAT will be offered to potential students in the Counseling and Testing Center (200 C.W. Building) @ 8:30 a.m. on the following dates:
  • Test Dates To Be Announced
  • Scores from this test are non-transferrable and are used only for students seeking admission to ECSU.
  • Score reports will be available two weeks after scheduled test dates.

The cost for taking the On Campus SAT is $50.00. 
Students can register and pay using Register Blast


Whom Do I Contact Regarding Disability Services?

  • Students requiring assistance or Disability Services during New & Transfer Student Orientation, and the academic year, due to physical, psychological, and/or learning disabilities should register with  Student Accessibility Services, 500 Griffin Hall, (252) 335-3642 or (252) 335-3273.
  • To receive appropriate accommodations during Orientation, please contact us at least ten business days prior to your scheduled orientation session. We are open Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to assist you.


What is FERPA?

  • In accordance with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) guidelines, the Office of the Registrar is unable to provide confidential information pertaining to students without a written consent from a student.
  • This is done by completing the Consent Form and returning it to the Office of The Registrar.  Once we have received this information, we will be happy to comply with your request.


What Lodging Is Available in the Area?
Campus housing is not available during New Student Orientation for guests; however, there are several hotels in or near Elizabeth City.

Accommodations most convenient to the University are:

    Best Western Plus (252) 331-7751  
    Days Inn    (252) 335-4316     800-329-7466
    Fairfield Inn & Suites (252) 333-1003  
    Holiday Inn Express (252) 338-8900
    Hampton Inn (252) 333-1800 800-426-7866
    Quality Inn (252) 338-3951  


  Telephone Numbers You May Need
University staff members are available and anxious to help and to answer your questions. Please contact the appropriate office if you need assistance.

Admissions                                                    (252) 335-3305 / 1-800-347-3278

Business & Finance                                   (252) 335-3220

Student Accessibility Services            (252) 335-3273

Financial Aid                                                 (252) 335-3283 / 1-800-529-8146

Health Services                                           (252) 335-3267

Housing & Residence Life                     (252) 335-3761

New Student Orientation                     (252) 335-3143

Registrar’s Office                                       (252) 335-3300

Student Accounts                                      (252) 335-3566

Student Affairs                                            (252) 335-3276

Transfer Student Advisor                      (252) 335-3474

University Police (Parking)                   (252) 335-3265


For other campus phone numbers call (252) 335-3400 and press 9 for the operator.