Homecoming Safety Tips
To help you enjoy the Viking Pride Spirit of Homecoming, here are some safety tips and parking/traffic regulation info, for you, your friends and your family members.
- Wear comfortable shoes and appropriate clothing. With limited parking, walking is the preferred way to get to most of the events on campus.
- If in a group, have a designated meeting point or a re-unification plan in case of
- If you intend to consume alcohol and can legally do so (age 21+ and at a permitted
event), make sure you have a designated driver and a way to safely return home.
- Use the “Buddy System.” When with friends at a party or event, agree to watch out
for eachother and leave the event together.
- Always avoid walking alone in isolated areas, such as parking lots and taking shortcuts.
- Be aware of what is going on around you at all times. If you suspect you are being
followed, indicate your suspicion by looking behind you. Change your direction or
vary your speed. Call University Police from your cell phone. Do not confront anyone
- If confronted by someone trying to victimize you, try to obtain a good physical description of the subject to give to the police.
- Keep personal identification and credit cards to a minimum on your person.
- Always secure your residence hall doors and windows. Do not prop doors open or leave unlocked for any period of time.
- Do not allow unauthorized persons to enter into residence halls behind you. Report unauthorized visitors immediately to the residence hall officials and University Police.
- Secure all valuables
Please adhere to parking/traffic regulations:
- When crossing the highway by Viking Village please use the crosswalk and ensure that the oncoming traffic has stopped, and is clear and safe for you to cross.
- Always park in a designated parking space for which you have a parking decal.
Parking at Viking Village is strictly for Viking Village residents ONLY and who have a Viking Village parking decal.
- Visitors to Viking Village or when the lot is full are to park in the overflow parking area which is located behind Griffin Hall.
DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Do not cross the roadway at any place other than the crosswalk and only when it is safe.
- Do not park in *passage ways*, travel lanes or along curbing.
- Do not park in handicap parking spaces.
- Do not double park or park outside the designated parking lines.
- Do not park on the lawns or sidewalks.
- Do not park in visitor or reserved spaces if you are not a visitor, or have purchased a reserve space.
- Violators of these regulations and laws are subject to having a parking boot placed on their vehicle and/or having their vehicle towed immediately.
- University Police will STRICTLY enforce the parking/traffic regulations across the campus.
ECSU CAMPUS POLICE