Frequently Asked Questions


Viking Vet Initiative

As a member of the President's Principles of Excellence Program our goal is to provide a smooth transition from military to college life for veterans, active duty service members, Reserve or National Guard, military dependents, and survivors and families. At ECSU we are committed to your success and look forward to serving you.

As part of our effort to serve, please see the questions and responses to the FAQ below.


I may be eligible to attend Elizabeth City State University using VA Benefits. Who do I contact for this information?
Students should visit the ECSU Military and Veterans Affairs Center.  Certifications are processed for enrolled veterans and dependents who satisfy the veterans administrations' qualifications, including those who are using Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits to pursue college degrees.  Please call 252.335.3774 to set up an appointment or visit us on campus at the Ridley University Center, Suite 112, or via email, veteran@ecsu.edu.


What do I need to do to get my educational benefits started at Elizabeth City State University?
The first step would be to contact the nearest Veterans Administration Office to check for eligibility. The School Certifying Official can provide the web-site which has recently changed to www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.  The former web-site gibill.va.gov, will also re-route you to the new site.


Do I need to bring any paperwork with me to the office?
All Veterans should bring a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 Copy). Veterans who are still currently serving in the National Guard or Reserve should bring a copy of their NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility).  If you have already applied for your benefit please bring us a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.


How do I find out if I have any benefits left?
Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000.


Can I apply for Financial Aid in addition to using my VA benefits?
Yes! According to new legislation passed in June 2009, effective July 2009, VA benefits are no longer considered when determining Financial Aid eligibility.  In addition, in order to be eligible for scholarships offered through Elizabeth City State University, you must have a FAFSA application on file.


How often do I need to verify enrollment at ECSU with the VA?
Students receiving Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 benefits must verify their enrollment monthly.  Chapter 33 and 35 recipients do not need to verify enrollment.  You may verify either online at gibill.va.gov or by calling 1-877-823-2378.


What is considered full time?
Students in an undergraduate program are full time if they are taking 12 credit hours or more.  Graduate students who take 9 credit hours are full-time. You may direct any questions you may have to the Registrar's Office.


I have the Post 9/11 GI BILL®, why did the VA send me a letter stating I was certified at $0 and $0 fees?
We do not enter tuition and fees until the 11th day of classes.  However, in order to be proactive we pre-certify in order for the VA to release the book stipend and start the monthly housing on time.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA . More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov /gibill.

I have the Post 9/11 GI BILL®, who will pay for my housing?
The VA will pay for your in-state tuition and fees up to your eligibility percentage.  This is the only money received from the VA.  Book stipends and your monthly housing allowance will be issued to you through the means you set up when the application for benefits was completed. While we will work to freeze your covered tuition and fees, you are responsible for any fees not covered, such as:

  • Housing
  • Meal plans
  • Books and supplies
  • Athletic passes
  • Parking
  • Non-resident tuition


When will the VA pay? 
The VA will pay in arrears.  This means they pay at the end of the month, after you have attended courses. Students should expect to receive their first full check on the month after school starts.  Any amounts received before then will be smaller checks and will either be your book stipend (if Post 9/11) or your prorated days for the first month you are actually in attendance.