Come to Discover. Leave to Conquer.
Elizabeth City State University was founded in 1891 with one goal: to bring a world-class education within reach of African American students. Our reach has grown since then, fostering a rigorous, practical, supportive learning environment for students of all racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds.
As a member of the University of North Carolina System, ECSU offers a wide range of degree programs and certificates that empower new, professional opportunities, and personal growth. Our signature areas of study include the humanities, education, and aviation. Every academic program at ECSU uses advanced technologies and hands-on learning to provide a valuable, high-quality education at an affordable cost. It’s always about affordable excellence here.
Our community has everything students need to discover who they are, connect with expert instructors, and leave ready to conquer in their career. We always seek new ways to better serve our students and strengthen our community. To us, every student matters – and it shows.
Elizabeth City State University will be a premier public institution and a leading partner for economic, social, and environmental progress. We will be a destination institution that develops leaders who will make a positive difference now and in the future.
ECSU is guided by a commitment to excellence, which is personified in the subsequent group of core values the university strives to demonstrate and maintain.
- Accountability – Administration, faculty, staff, and students will be responsible and transparent in their actions
- Commitment – Dedication to our students, community, and advancing the university will be our priority
- Excellence – Unparalleled teaching, learning, and service to the university and community will be our measure for success
- Collaboration – Teamwork and partnerships with our stakeholders will be utilized to achieve common goals
- Inclusion – Diverse viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds will be respected and welcomed
Get to Know Us
Elizabeth City State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, professional and master’s degrees. Elizabeth City State University also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of Elizabeth City State University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).