MASTER OF Science in Mathemtics PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Our program is designed to provide a rigorous background in mathematics content and hand-on training in teaching mathematics at the secondary or college level. It is specifically tailored for STEM major students who are interested in pursuing a well-rounded graduate program in mathematics with the added benefit of gaining training and experience with the use of mathematical and statistical software for data analysis, technology in applied mathematics and in teaching. Our alumni typically go on to become community college instructors, lecturers at four-year universities, high school teachers with advanced licensure, or doctoral students in mathematics, applied science and engineering, computational data science or mathematics education.Concentrations:
- This track serves as an excellent preparation for Teaching positions, Industry related positions, and for doctoral programs in mathematics, mathematics education, applied science and technology or in data analytics areas.
- This track prepares students for teaching positions in community or four-year college
The program includes both in-person (after 5pm) and hybrid/online options to allow students greater flexibility for a MS degree completion. Minorities and low-income students may be eligible for scholarship funding.Applications deadlines are flexible, and if interested in applying please visit https://gradapply.ecsu.edu/
It is assumed that all entering students have completed undergraduate courses in Calculus I, II & III, Linear Algebra and Applied Statistics or Differential Equations. Students who have not had such courses or their equivalent can still be admitted conditionally but will be required to take undergraduate courses to remedy deficiencies, with no credit towards the degree.
- A 2.5 (out of 4.0) GPA and an undergraduate degree in Mathematics or a STEM education related field from an accredited institution are required for unconditional admission.
- $30 non-refundable application fee (currently waived)
- A Resume or curriculum vitae indicating research or teaching area of interest.
- An unofficial transcript; an official transcript (direct request from National Student Clearinghouse to firstname.lastname@example.org) from all colleges and universities attended is required prior to being enrolled in any graduate course.
- 2 contacts for reference.
- Copy of TOEFL score, if applicable (original should be sent from testing agency)
- Completed ECSU health form
Nine (9) semester hours are required for full time status.
No more than six (6) graduate credit hours may be transferred from other institutions.
The program is designed for completion in four to six semesters, depending on the number of credits taken per semester. However, the degree program must be completed within six successive calendar years. Programs remaining incomplete after this period are subject to cancellation.
The degree requirements are:
- Complete a minimum of 36 hours of graduate credit applicable to the program:
- Complete a thesis; and
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0