Elizabeth City State University Logo
Office of the Registrar

Frequently Asked Questions

For Students

For official copies of your transcript, please see our Transcript Requests page. Unofficial copies (i.e. for academic advising) are available on Self-Service Banner.
On SSB students can obtain a verification certificate. Under the Student Records tab, the link NSC. This is an official document. Some agencies still require a letter, therefore students will need to submit Student Verification form.
Yes, all of our enrollment certifications for lenders are done through the National Student Clearinghouse. Lenders may contact them at 703-742-7791 for more information.
The Permit for Transient Study form is located online. 

Log on Self Service Banner to see what type of hold you have on your account. If  you're unable to see the hold, please contact the Office of the Registrar and we can send you to the appropriate office. For balance holds, please contact Student Accounts

The student must contact the instructor and Department Chair to seek approval for a capacity override.

This process begins in the student’s major department with their advisor or department chair. Both applications can be found under Student Forms inside the Student Portal.

Degrees with distinction are awarded to graduating seniors in the following categories:

  • Cum Laude for GPA 3.25 through 3.59
  • Magna Cum Laude for GPA 3.60 through 3.79
  • Summa Cum laude for GPA 3.80 through 4.00
To be eligible for degrees with distinction, a student must have earned at least 55 semester hours in residence at Elizabeth City State University. The student must also have the required overall average in all course work attempted..
Any decision about Graduation Honors not stated above is to be addressed by the Academic Standards and Credits Committee.

No, Students cannot choose which courses that are accepted.  Transfer credits are determined by the Transfer Coordinator for General Education requirements and the academic department for major requirements.

 65 credits can be accepted from a community college and 94 credits from a university.  If students have attended both a community college and a university, the total number of credits that will be accepted is 94 credits. Grades   must be “C” or higher for transfer credit to be given.

  • School Code for ACT is 3095
  • School Codes for College Board/SAT is 5629
  • School Codes for FAFSA is 002926

A student who wishes or is asked to leave the University at any time during the semester shall complete and file official withdrawal forms. These forms may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar located in the Marion D. Thorpe Administration Building, first floor.

Students who withdraw from the University prior to the published deadline to withdraw from the University shall receive a "WD" in all classes they’re still enrolled in.  Failure to execute and file these forms in a timely manner will result in a student incurring the penalty of receiving an "F" for each course in which he or she was enrolled during the semester in question.

Students must see Student Accounts or Financial Aid to receive approval to add classes back. Student Accounts will notify the Office of the Registrar through E4U regarding the student’s eligibility to pay.  The Office of the Registrar will remove the hold and the student can re-register for courses.

What is Waitlisting? Waitlisting is an enrollment management tool that allows students to “get in line” for a spot in a class that’s full and wait in line to see if a spot might open in the course.

How do I put myself on a course’s Waitlist? Students register for or drop the Waitlist using the same Banner process used to register for a course. The only difference is the registration action will say Wait Listed.

How do I know when it is my term to register for a waitlisted course? You will be sent an email notification to your preferred email address. When you are on the waitlist, check your email often.

What do I do when I receive a notice that a seat is available? You will have 24 hours to register for the course. Contact your Advisor or Log into Banner. Go to the Add or Drop Classes link. Click the downward arrow in the box next to the waitlisted course. Select Web Register and click the Submit button to register.

How long will I have to register when a spot opens? You have 24 hours from the time the email notification was sent to you.

Where do I see my spot in line on the Waitlist? Your spot on the Waitlist displays in your Student Detail Schedule. When the spot displays at zero, this means it is your turn.

Can I put myself on the Waitlist for multiple course offerings? Yes

Can I register for the Waitlist if I have a registration hold? No

Will I be billed for a waitlisted course? No. A waitlisted course does not count in enrollment. Therefore you will not receive a bill for a waitlisted course.

What if I no longer wish to be on a course’s Waitlist? Out of courtesy to other students, please drop your name from the Waitlist.You can drop the Waitlist course by contacting your Advisor or using your Banner account.

What is the priority of students on the Waitlist? Students are listed in first come first serve order. The order is the order in which the students were registered on the Waitlist.

Can a student bypass a Waitlist by asking an Instructor for a Permit Override? No


For Faculty

Submit an IT Helpdesk Ticket

You must contact the department chair to request changes. ONLY Academic Affairs can change seating capacity or any changes to the schedule.
Contact the Office of the Registrar
You should attempt to contact the student. Then complete the Never Attended Report form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.
The student must log into Self Service Banner.
  • Click on the Student tab.
  • Click Registration.
  • Click Add/Drop/course withdrawal.
No. If a student drops all courses they must officially withdraw from the university. They will need to contact the Office of the Registrar. 
Students who wish to withdraw from the University must visit the Office of the Registrar to begin the withdrawal process.  The Registrar will explain the process, the consequences and the possible options relative to withdrawing from the University. 
Complete an Undergraduate Grade form or Graduate Grade form and submit to Academic Affairs
All holds are released within INB on SOAHOLD.